Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SA Treffen Braunschweig 1931 rally badge

Article about: Hi everyone, I will be putting up several different threads of the medals and cloth insignia in my collection. We will start with this SA Rally badge. Hope you enjoy! Thaddeus

Quote by Metallwarenfabrik View Post
    How many different 1st patterns are there?
    4 so far

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Treffen Braunschweig 1931 rally badge
    P
    Many

?

Hello Gents
    This is shaping up to be an interesting thread. From what I have read on various fora the accepted type 1 badge has incused
    writing as opposed to raised as shown on badge # 2 post 17. A search has found a thread from 2010 where a badge with
    raised writing has supposed provenance along with other items. Is there documented proof that the incused badges are the
    original badges from the rally or is it just heresay? I have yet to see a period photograph with high enough resolution to
    determine one way or the other. The badge in the link below has reasonably symmetrical wings as opposed to some of the
    raised lettering badges available.

A friend's collection.

Regards
    Brett

Brett, one post from that thread you mentioned "A Friends Collection"
    Quote by David North View Post
    ..... however, the badge was elevated to a 'traditions' award post 1933 and was allowed to be worn by those having taken part, on any uniform and to include that of the SS and Wehrmacht. The badge was as important as that!

Regards,

David
    In the 1933 Aufbau and Abzeichen der NSDAP, a drawing of the badge is shown, and it is stated that those who were there, "dürfen dieser abzeichen bei besonderen anlässen tragen" (are allowed to wear this badge on special occasions." And that is was the duty, of SA / SS men (who were there) to wear it on their service uniform.

The 1934 Aufbau und Abzeichen der NSDAP, shows another slightly different drawing of this badge, and the same is mentioned.

Just wanted to clear that up, because the above quote gives the impression that anyone who was there could wear it at any time, [on any uniform] which according to 1933-1934 literature was not the case. Maybe this changed later i wouldn't know.

A photo of the badge in wear.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Treffen Braunschweig 1931 rally badge  

Quote by Erich S View Post
    A photo of the badge in wear.
    Hello and thanks for that image , definitely appears to be "inverted" lettering on that example and not "proud".

Is the solid zinc 2nd pattern version, the one that was sold through WW2Ltd in the late 60`s and 70`s? Or is it another "variant"?

The one in the catalog shows the eagle head cut out around the neck and shoulders, but the solid one pictured here does not. They look like 2 different badges.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    The one in the catalog shows the eagle head cut out around the neck and shoulders, but the solid one pictured here does not. They look like 2 different badges.
    .... If you observe, the many other badges in that fake hawkers book, as well as other books from around that period that show badges/awards like this, you can clearly see, that the images themselves are cut-outs, especially when attention is paid to the area around the heads of the eagles
    Here are a few more examples from that book that demonstrate...

So i shall stick with my original assumption, based on the actual shape of the pictured badges, the uneven wing shapes especially as well as lettering.

I was referring Specifically to the 2 badges you posted in #26...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I was referring Specifically to the 2 badges you posted in #26...
    Yes, and so am i, after all, the image in post 26, comes from the same catalog as the images i posted in the following post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast