MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Skiing Competition pin

Article about: I came upon this interesting-looking enameled pin made as a souvenir/participant badge for a wartime skiing competition, and have so far not been able to find any information on it. Do you g

?

Default Skiing Competition pin

I came upon this interesting-looking enameled pin made as a souvenir/participant badge for a wartime skiing competition, and have so far not been able to find any information on it. Do you guys think this is a fantasy piece? It is apparently marked as Carl Poellath.

Skiing Competition pinSkiing Competition pin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Skiing Competition pin
    P
    Many

?

Here is a photo of program cover from an event 12 day days before. When I first saw the pin I thought it was the same event. I am not sure if it makes the pin more likely real or not. Skiing Competition pin

Erno

Haven't seen one before but I like what I see. I would buy it if I happened upon it. How big is this pinback? If the pin attachment is the same size as a Party badge, then this badge is just slightly bigger?

Mark
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

?

Quote by Ganer View Post
    Here is a photo of program cover from an event 12 day days before. When I first saw the pin I thought it was the same event. I am not sure if it makes the pin more likely real or not.
    Thank you, that is interesting. I confirmed via a German website that there was indeed a 'Deutsche Kriegs-skimeisterschaft' event hosted by the Ruhpolding Ski Club in February of 1940, and I also found a postcard from the same event with the same design as the badge. Whether or not that was related to the event from your program, I have no idea.

Quote by Greenhorn View Post
    Erno

Haven't seen one before but I like what I see. I would buy it if I happened upon it. How big is this pinback? If the pin attachment is the same size as a Party badge, then this badge is just slightly bigger?

Mark
    Hi Mark. Thanks for your opinion! I think that has a good chance of being genuine as well. I don't know how the big the pinback is, but the badge is something like 35x25 mm, I believe. I can't say for certain because I don't have it in hand. I think I'll make an offer to the seller and take a gamble on it, unless someone else knows it to be a fake/fantasy.

Quote by Erno View Post
    Thank you, that is interesting. I confirmed via a German website that there was indeed a 'Deutsche Kriegs-skimeisterschaft' event hosted by the Ruhpolding Ski Club in February of 1940, and I also found a postcard from the same event with the same design as the badge. Whether or not that was related to the event from your program, I have no idea.

Hi Mark. Thanks for your opinion! I think that has a good chance of being genuine as well. I don't know how the big the pinback is, but the badge is something like 35x25 mm, I believe. I can't say for certain because I don't have it in hand. I think I'll make an offer to the seller and take a gamble on it, unless someone else knows it to be a fake/fantasy.
    Go for it, it's not fake. If someone proves it's fake, then I'd believe it. Does the pin plate state "Carl Poellath"? Can't quite enlarge enough to see it.
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

?

Quote by Greenhorn View Post
    Go for it, it's not fake. If someone proves it's fake, then I'd believe it. Does the pin plate state "Carl Poellath"? Can't quite enlarge enough to see it.
    Ok, thanks! I will give it a shot. The pin looks good to me too, but I wanted the opinion of the seasoned veterans before going for it, since it's somewhat unusual and not something I could really research. I can't see it either, and all I have is what the seller stated. I believe he gave the inscription as "C. Poellath," actually.

Quote by Erno View Post
    Ok, thanks! I will give it a shot. The pin looks good to me too, but I wanted the opinion of the seasoned veterans before going for it, since it's somewhat unusual and not something I could really research. I can't see it either, and all I have is what the seller stated. I believe he gave the inscription as "C. Poellath," actually.
    Thanks for your faith (if it was meant for me) but seasoned is what happens to raw meat, lol. If someone proves it to be fake, I'll buy it from you and learn from it. It has every attribute I want in a period enamel badge. And I think the badge is rather attractive looking.

?

Quote by Erno View Post
    I am collecting images for a project of mine can you send me a link to the postcard's image?

looks fine to me.

?

Quote by Ganer View Post
    I am collecting images for a project of mine can you send me a link to the postcard's image?
    Sure, here's the link:

Philasearch.com - German Empire

And here's the postcard front, uploaded directly to WRF for the benefit of the future residents of Deadlinkistan:

Skiing Competition pin

Thanks again for the thoughts and opinions about this! I have contacted the seller.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast