Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Small grouping to Blockleiter Herbert Barthel of Ortsgruppe Südwest

Article about: A small but nice grouping I picked up some months ago to Blockleiter (later Zellenleiter) Herbert Otto Barthel: Herbert Barthel was born on Jan. 24th, 1902 in Hohndorf (?). He joined the NSD

Default Small grouping to Blockleiter Herbert Barthel of Ortsgruppe Südwest

A small but nice grouping I picked up some months ago to Blockleiter (later Zellenleiter) Herbert Otto Barthel:

Herbert Barthel was born on Jan. 24th, 1902 in Hohndorf (?). He joined the NSDAP on Nov. 1st, 1933 and received membership #3 391 433. The Ortsgruppe he belonged to was Südwest -- furthermore: Kreis Gross Frankfurt a. M., Gau Hessen Nassau.

In this grouping:

His Berechtigungsschein dated Jan. 30th, 1939 states that he held the rank of Blockleiter and that he was therefore entitled to wear the uniform of said rank.

His Mitgliedsbuch shows wear and clear evidence of having been stored folded over the years. Inside it seems to state that the book was issued on Aug. 5th, 1937 and that his signature was added Nov. 23rd that same year. Membership dues ( in the form of stamps) seems to have been paid from May, 1935 and onwards though --- maybe they "backdated" his paid membership dues this way? I have no idea, this is my first one...
    From there on he paid every month up until May, 1943 where the stamp additions stop.
    Towards the back of the book there is an "Umlagen" section where a Reichsparteitag 1935 stamp, 3 Partei Beitrag and 4 Opferring stamps have been added. The Parteibeitrag stamps all bear stamps for the RPTs of 1936, 1937 and 1938.

Small grouping to Blockleiter Herbert Barthel of Ortsgruppe SüdwestSmall grouping to Blockleiter Herbert Barthel of Ortsgruppe SüdwestSmall grouping to Blockleiter Herbert Barthel of Ortsgruppe Südwest

His Kennkarte bears the number a79295 and was issued on Nov. 20th, 1942

Also included is his Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2 Klasse certificate, which was issued on Jan. 30th, 1944 to Barthel, by this time obviously promoted to k. Zellenleiter. Any idea what the k. part stands for?
    I'm guessing it's more than likely that he was awarded the Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2 Klasse for some kind of effort either during or after the Frankfurt bombings in late Jan. of '44.

And last, but not least, is his pretty nice M1/34 Parteiabzeichen manufactured by Karl Würster. When I received it it had some pretty bad grime on the obverse but when cleaned off if showed off a pretty nice condition example! Also, this is my first "named" regular Parteiabzeichen

Small grouping to Blockleiter Herbert Barthel of Ortsgruppe SüdwestSmall grouping to Blockleiter Herbert Barthel of Ortsgruppe Südwest

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you liked my tour of this humble grouping

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Small grouping to Blockleiter Herbert Barthel of Ortsgruppe Südwest
    P
    Many

very nice.

Thank you, Harry! This is my first grouping of this kind and it seems like to me that these political groupings do not come up all that often, so I'm definitely happy to have this one

I guess I might have misplaced this thread a bit seeing as this is, for the most part, a paper grouping. Any mods feel like moving it to the Papers etc. section?

?

Nice grouping friend.

Quote by slados28 View Post
    I guess I might have misplaced this thread a bit seeing as this is, for the most part, a paper grouping. Any mods feel like moving it to the Papers etc. section?
    I think this thread fits nicely in this section. A very nice grouping to a party member and political leader.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Nice grouping. How did you come to find it?

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Also included is his Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2 Klasse certificate, which was issued on Jan. 30th, 1944 to Barthel, by this time obviously promoted to k. Zellenleiter. Any idea what the k. part stands for?
    The "k." most likely stands for "kommissarischer" = provisional, acting.

Ahhh --- thanks for the info, HPL2008! One can only speculate but perhaps this provisional position had something to do with the losses from the Frankfurt bombings...

Bob: Good to hear and thank you for the kind words!

SteveR: Thanks

Glenn: No exotic story, I got it from a smaller online dealer that seems to get these neat untouched groupings and such in from time to time --- the moment I saw it, already being on the lookout for a good Mitgliedsbuch, I just had to have it