Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Strange Axis Africa Campaign vest/bomber jacket question (Must See)!!!!

Article about: Hello all Longtime reader of the forum but never registered or posted before. I came across this leather jacket in a shop and I immediately snagged it up having never seen anything like it.

mrchris1984
    ?

Default Strange Axis Africa Campaign vest/bomber jacket question (Must See)!!!!

Hello all

Longtime reader of the forum but never registered or posted before. I came across this leather jacket in a shop and I immediately snagged it up having never seen anything like it. It almost looks like a cross between a motorcycle vest with an airman's jacket but even has a hint of Native American flair to it.

The old vest jacket that is an aged white leather, with the Nazi and Italian flag on the backside and the eagle with the Nazi symbol over it. Then below that its says North Africa 1943-44 and Italy 1945. Below that in the right corner is someones name I'm assuming it says Stabgefp? Hans Groth. Then above the symbols is the letters VHW

What has me curious about it is I have never seen a WW2 era vest like it, but even more what throws me off is how Africa and Italy is transliterated in English instead of German or Italian, but if it were hand-painted by an American soldier why is it celebrating the third Reich with the Eagle and Swastika? Also stamped in the lower corner is a German word and name, "Stabgefr Hans Groth"

If anyone could help shed some light on such an unusual piece I'd really appreciate it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Strange Axis Africa Campaign vest/bomber jacket question (Must See)!!!!   Strange Axis Africa Campaign vest/bomber jacket question (Must See)!!!!  

Strange Axis Africa Campaign vest/bomber jacket question (Must See)!!!!  
    Last edited by mrchris1984; 04-23-2012 at 04:17 PM.

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: Strange Axis Africa Campaign vest/bomber jacket question (Must See)!!!!

Welcome to the forum.
    Looks like a fantasy vest.

?

Default Re: Strange Axis Africa Campaign vest/bomber jacket question (Must See)!!!!

Indeed. My first thought on this item. But who knows. Anyway the paint looks too new and Germans spell Africa with a K, not a C. Welcome to the forum.

Regards. Lars

As my colleagues have said. this is a total 4th Reich fantasy creation. The mispelling of "Afrika" certainly attests to the lack of basic knowledge the faker has. As we near 67 years since the end of the Nazi Regime, there is very little period original material that will come to light that has not already been seen.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.