Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown Shoulder Board

Article about: Hi, I have this shoulder board but have no idea what it is, might not be German or even WW2. Wondering if anyone can tell me what it is?

?

Default Unknown Shoulder Board

Hi, I have this shoulder board but have no idea what it is, might not be German or even WW2.

Wondering if anyone can tell me what it is?
    Attached Images Attached Images Unknown Shoulder Board 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unknown Shoulder Board
    P
    Many

Default Re: Unknown Shoulder Board

Welcome to the forum!

All I can suggest is that it is Police related, but I do not recognise this blue strap. Rank will be for an NCO that much I do know.

Cheers, Ade.

Finally I get to answer something that Ade doesn't know! I kinda feel like I'm top of the world!

This is a German police Veterinary Revieroberwachtmeister (a police rank between SGT and Staff SGT) should board. That is the good news.

The bad news is that it is post war. EVEN if it doesn't glow under a black light I know its post war because the black base color sticks out too far around the sides from the center silver cord. A WW2 or earlier board has the base color slightly out or even with the top silver color. Sometimes you see boards where around the ends it is even but in the center the silver cord retracts slightly. It this case the base is out fairly evenly around the entire board. If you ever have anymore police board or tab questions feel free to contact me.

-Martin

It appears that the colour is cornflower blue. Isn't that for the medical branch?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Well done Martin Glad I was on the right lines with Police.

Hi Ned, it looks a bit purple blue on my screen?

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks for the info, Question about the color of the piping, I thought police had green piping? Sorry about quality of pic took some more.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Shoulder Board   Unknown Shoulder Board  

Unknown Shoulder Board  

Ned, the base color is your branch color in which case it is black. The facing color is cornflower because the Veterinary came under the medical department.

Barnes, yes city police is green, but that is only one branch of a million within the police. I don't use the word "million" lightly! Rural is orange, Water Police yellow, Municipal police wine red, etc..... I mean, by the end of the war even the TeNo was using police insignia with different colors of gray and green. It all very confusing unless you sit around and read police reference books for fun.

Ade, kudos from you are high end kudos indeed!

-Martin

?

Thanks Martin, your right it is very confusing,

I also presume that the base color wasn't attached to a piece of green plastic like material?

Also just one question about the colors, with the city and rural police tunics the color of the arm eagle and the back of the collar tabs match the base color of the shoulder boards, is this the same for all of them? Like the world war two versions of these shoulder boards would they be worn with a black thread arm eagle and black backed collar tabs and so on with all the other colors?

Is the facing color the middle? what color was it if you weren't medical?
    Attached Images Attached Images Unknown Shoulder Board 

Quote by martinsuper View Post
    Ned, the base color is your branch color in which case it is black. The facing color is cornflower because the Veterinary came under the medical department.

Barnes, yes city police is green, but that is only one branch of a million within the police. I don't use the word "million" lightly! Rural is orange, Water Police yellow, Municipal police wine red, etc..... I mean, by the end of the war even the TeNo was using police insignia with different colors of gray and green. It all very confusing unless you sit around and read police reference books for fun.

Ade, kudos from you are high end kudos indeed!

-Martin
    Thanks for the clarification Martin. I didn't realise that the veterinary corps came under the medical branch's remit, and therefore the cornflower blue identification piping, as i thought that the veterinary branch's i.d. piping was crimson.

Learning all the time, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Martin. I didn't realise that the veterinary corps came under the medical branch's remit, and therefore the cornflower blue identification piping, as i thought that the veterinary branch's i.d. piping was crimson.

Learning all the time, Ned.
    No need to apologize, and don't second guess your knowledge. The brand ID color for Veterinary is crimson... for the army! For the police its black. For the Army black is pioneer. For the Croatians black is armor. Everyone does things a little different.

This is but one of the areas where people get confused about the Police and there is a lot of misidentification. Some would even have said that this board was a 1st Lt Police officer board, not a mid-SGT board. So, don't think what you know is wrong, just know that a lot of things do not apply to the police.

-Martin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast