Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

What should glow?

Article about: I've heard from other collectors some period items will have a glow to them when looking at it under a black light. For example: Mothers Cross ribbon may glow in small threads? I was just wo

Default What should glow?

I've heard from other collectors some period items will have a glow to them when looking at it under a black light. For example: Mothers Cross ribbon may glow in small threads?

I was just wondering What should glow and what shouldn't glow?

or should I throw the black light away?

Thanks,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What should glow?
    P
    Many

Default Re: What should glow?

Modern fabrics have a brightener added that will glow under the black light. The best comparison is to check the item against a white T shirt or sock that will give you an example to compare against. If an old piece is laundered with modern cleaners, it will also glow.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Thanks Eric!

I have an item that is original, but after looking at it with a black light a thread on it glows pretty nicely. Cleaned at one point maybe?

Post a pic of it and i'm sure someone can help you.
    A blacklight/UV is not a magic wand but a tool to help.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Zentner; 07-29-2011 at 11:17 PM.

Let me add to this as I don't want to mislead anyone,The black light does reflect on synthetic materials but it also reflects on natural materials including cotton. Some natural material was impregnated with phosphate to keep it white Phosphate will give off a bright glow. In the 1938-1945 period, the Germans were using it as early as 1933. This is a documented fact. This is a good basic tool but I would never count on it 100% The problem is fakers today know about the black light and produce natural phosphate free material.

Eric

Thanks again Eric.
    The forum already said my Mothers Cross was an original but the blacklight brought up a "Single" thread in the fabric. Probablly was cleaned.