Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

D.L.V. variant, or perhaps not?

Article about: There is an extremely interesting "DLV" buckle that has recently been posted on another forum. Whilst I recognise the distinct style of eagle, there are constructional features whi

Default D.L.V. variant, or perhaps not?

There is an extremely interesting "DLV" buckle that has recently been posted on another forum.

Whilst I recognise the distinct style of eagle, there are constructional features which are new to myself at least.

This rare design has been previously shown and discussed by ourselves, however I cannot for the life of me locate the old thread.

Attached are images of the said buckle that I still hold, however there are constructional differences to the one that is being discussed on the other forum.

Regards and best wishes,

David

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement D.L.V. variant, or perhaps not?
    P
    Many

Reverse

?

Your buckle does show a lot better detail on the back. It would have been nice if Ric had posted his example. The eagle might be the ugliest bird on any Third Reich buckle. I am sure this makes it a rare buckle. What DLV man would pick this buckle over a nice Assmann buckle.

I have located the previous discussion:-

Thoughts on Identifying an "Interesting" Buckle

Having again read through this six years old thread, the general consensus is that the buckle is a variant DLV, as no more and no less.

Regards and best wishes,

David

As shown elsewhere:

D.L.V. variant, or perhaps not? D.L.V. variant, or perhaps not?

In the various catalogs I own, I cannot find any indication for iron buckles. Practically always Leichtmetall/Aluminium.
    Since April 1937 the DLV was disbanded and so there was not further need for this type, as the NSFK did not wear such type of buckle.

The quality of the reverse is extremely lousy!

The buckle is in no way state officials or diplomats.
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 07-07-2016 at 11:39 AM.

Dear Wilhelm

I think and with all due respect, that it is now "old hat" for us to consider that this buckle is anything other than an interesting variation DLV or perhaps RLB. As some say, "hope springs external", although not in this case and to my mind, DLV or RLB.

The reverse detail of the buckle that is displayed on another forum is bewildering to say the least. I have never before seen a "male" strike by a die stamp process on a steel planchet so indistinct. Alloys yes, however not on steel.

By the way, this descriptive feature of iron as opposed to steel is I am sure, simply a classic "lost in translation" situation. Steel is I think the order of the day and despite period catalogues referring to iron.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Hello,

interesting buckles !

But does exist originals made from steel ?

That example shown by Wim is full magnetic ...........
    Regards ,
    Markus

I'm searching for
    Buckles 3.Reich

special SA/NSKK/NSFK with maker marks

Link to my collection : http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/album.php?albumid=1175

Perhaps at times I am not the "sharpest tool in the box", however and for heavens sake, could someone please explain to me why any variant DLV should not be die stamped from steel?

Regards and best wishes,

David

Quote by David North View Post
    Perhaps at times I am not the "sharpest tool in the box", however and for heavens sake, could someone please explain to me why any variant DLV should not be die stamped from steel?

Regards and best wishes,

David

Hello David ,

yes that's the question .......

Most known in alu and nickel silver but why not in steel ?

I hold also a Extra variation made of zinc ...........

D.L.V. variant, or perhaps not?D.L.V. variant, or perhaps not?
    Regards ,
    Markus

I'm searching for
    Buckles 3.Reich

special SA/NSKK/NSFK with maker marks

Link to my collection : http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/album.php?albumid=1175

Without wishing to feel the wrath of Wilhelm who I know is fastidious in relation to the credence of opinions and statements, only when being correlated with and supported by indisputable period information, documentation and the like - I think that the buckle that I hold and which started this thread, is steel. I emphasise I think and there is the rub. The buckle is languishing in England whilst I am in China and as such, I cannot verify this by the tried and trusted refrigerator magnet test.

So, we do indeed know that the loosely described DLV/RLB buckle is encountered in nickle silver and aluminium and yes, zinc. I have attached images of the zinc example that I still hold and of minor interest is that this buckle appears in a period catalogue by a well known manufacturer as "RLB Schloß mit Auflage" complete with a four digit "Art" and reference to a 45 mm size.

Finally, I still retain a DLV buckle which is die stamped brass and images are attached.

To my mind, perfectly reasonable to assume that this buckle was manufactured in steel.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast