Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Front Heil/Der Stalhelm

Article about: Now I am really stepping into the breach lol the world of the Der Stalhelm can be a nightmare with its many mini organisations and variations. I must admit I had some concerns about this buc

Default Front Heil/Der Stalhelm

Now I am really stepping into the breach lol the world of the Der Stalhelm can be a nightmare with its many mini organisations and variations. I must admit I had some concerns about this buckle, to me the roundel looks to have been re soldered, the solder looks a bit too bright for a 80 odd year old buckle, any one any other opinions?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Front Heil/Der Stalhelm   Front Heil/Der Stalhelm  

Ben

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Front Heil/Der Stalhelm
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Front Heil/Der Stalhelm

Ben,

A nice Der Stalhelm but i too think the solder looks fairly new ?

Regards Mac 66

I would agree re the solder.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

With my limited knowledge i'd say the solder is new, not because it's bright but because of the way it's been soldered, they allways seem to have a neat flat pool of solder not big untidy blobs.

?

I don't see a problem with the solder. Nice buckle.

?

A buckle man I am not but I do have lots of experience in metal work and fabrication and the solder does look to be quite new and here is my reasoning behind this if you look closely at image two the solder on the bottom of the buckle in particular you will notice that there are scratches in the back of the buckle that are underneath the flux that was left over from the soldering process as well as a heavy build up of flux around the solder this as well looks odd to me with the amount of wear that is on the back of the buckle it should have flaked off by now not to mention there is no oxidization present which should be there after so many years with the use of lead and or silver solder.
    Just my opinion though

Regards Mark K

Hard call....the buckle looks completely legit....the solder looks good too - but it is 'shiny'....perhaps just a case where the buckle was polished up at one point?
    If I had to make a call on it...I would lean towards it being a good buckle.
    I love Stahlhelm buckles!
    Rob

Thanks guys, I am happy with the buckle in regards to originality, it was just the question of the solder being touched up
    Ben