Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Stahlhelmbund, Jung-Stahlhelmbund and Landsturm

Article about: David, What a great grouping of Stahlhelmbund buckles. I love the different helment shapes. Can't come close to topping yours but will post mine as time permits but soon. Regards, Bill

Default Re: Stahlhelmbund, Jung-Stahlhelmbund and Landsturm

Dear Wilhelm

Welcome to the forum and thankyou for the correction to the narrative.

Regards and best wishes,

David

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stahlhelmbund, Jung-Stahlhelmbund and Landsturm
    P
    Many

Gents, brilliant reading and so from this is it safe to say that the field grey painted buckle is from 1925/26 onwards till the end of the war and the brass box type were the earlier buckles from when the the Bund was disbanded for the first time in 1922? Also when the new Bund formed in 1951 did they have a new buckle that they wore at that time? I would like to see examples of all buckles from each period of the bund being active (if that all makes sense)
    Last edited by Ben Evans; 11-08-2011 at 04:08 PM.
    Ben

Dear Ben

I for one will wobble and perhaps "walk on egg shells" a little, now that we have the great privilege of Wilhelm being a contributing forum member. As we all know, Wilhelm is an internationally acknowledged and respected militaria authority and not solely regarding all matters "Der Stahlhelm", although I understand that this organisation has a special significance and interest.

From what I can fathom, the non controlled "rag, tag and bobtail" of Der Stahlhelm buckles were indeed worn until 1925 and when at this point, Der Stahlhof in Magdeburg approved the 3 green painted steel buckles for (1) Der Stahlhelm, (2) Jung-Stahlhelm and (3), Stahlhelm Land Sturm 1924.

Perhaps the trio was worn until the period 1934/1935, from when the organisation per se was absorbed into other NS organisations.

The contentious point to some (not really myself) is whether the green painted steel Der Stahlhelm buckle was revived (re manufactured) in the 1950's and now sits comfortably in many collections as " NS period".

Regards,

David

As far as I have found out, the other type of buckles, as the field-grey painted ones, were still
    sold after 1925/1926. They were worn until the end of the existance of the "old"Stahlhelm-Bund.
    This being the spring of 1934
    As I told before, the use of old types of buckles was conived, while the High Command did not
    force the members for extra costs.

When the Bund became nazi (NS.Deutscher Frontkämpferbund, Stahlhelm) officially
    a 6.0 cm wide chocolade-brown belt with double claw-buckle had to be worn (this is stated
    in the regulation: Die Bundestracht des NS. Deutscher Frontkämpferbund, Stahlhelm from
    July 1934. With many photographs this is visible. The one or the other however still did
    wear the old type of buckles in field-grey, brass or whatever. The double claw one can say
    was in accordance to the orders for the SA. Worn until the end of the existance of the Bund
    in late 1935.

The double-claw for the SA was official already with orders from July 7, 1932. It was said: "one can wear",
    so it was still allowed to wear the rectangular buckles. However when one had to buy new outfit, it
    should be the double-claw (published in the Vbl.der OSAF from December 1933). Within the SA one
    did often wear the rectangular buckles until late 1934. A new SA publication noted that the use of
    two types of buckle forms was no longer possible, due to costs. The OSAf asked this should end.
    The double-claw was the only official form (Vbl.OSAF from November 11, 1934).

With the new Stahlhelm-Bund they did wear what they could find or could get, when they were
    uniformed. Most attended the large meetings in civil (this is observed by me various times).
    Stahlhelm-buckles were in fact easy to find for les money. Most often however the double claw
    was in use. Anyway by their uniformed leaders!

From sales cataloques from the early thirties it is obvious that the old form of buckles as well as the field-grey ones
    were offered simultaneously. This is stated by leafleats from Berg & Nolte and for example Steinhauer & Lück. In
    most occasions it is the brass buckle with silvered inset with "Front Heil" indication, which was also manufactured
    at that moment with a brass inset. Others were hardly offered at that moment. Anyway not much leaflets or cataloques
    do show other versions.
    The leaflets do show already at that moment the SS enlisted ranks buckle, which was a new item mentioned as "neu"
    in the Vbl.der OSAF from January 26, 1932, as "Neues Leibriemenschloss für die SS, ges.gesch". The buckle was
    introduced in about November 1931.

Maybe it is difficult to get to the bottom about the development for the buckles for the Stahlhelm-organization, but I will try to make a sequence:

a) In the official Stahlhelm-newspaper from July 1, 1925 the Stahlhelm-buckle to be worn was noted in an advertisement in field-grey and polished brass.
    The drawing showed the "Front Heil"-version. The same form of buckle was also available for the Jungstahlhelm, but with the sword instead of the helmet;
    b) In the Stahlhelm-newspaper from April 18, 1926 a short note was published about the manufacturing of the new style buckles 4.5 cm for
    Stahlhelm, Jungstahlhelm and Stahlhelm-Landsturm. These new buckles, in field-grey and with the large eagle, then were to be manufactured only by
    Noelle & Heuck (mentioned in the newspaper-article);
    c) in 1926 Noelle & Heuck from Lüdenscheid advertised in a leaflet with these new buckles, which were according to DRGM Nr. 924278 and gesetzlich
    geschützt. They mention they were the only manufacturer (at that moment) and phrased it as "the belt-buckle for the Bund";
    d) the Stahlhelm handbook, dated November 15, 1927 mentions: "the official to be worn belt was 6.0 cm wide (and has a double-claw)". Other forms of
    belts and buckles were allowed. The only noted form is the one with the larger eagle (Landsturm was not included anymore as this sub-organization
    was no longer in existance as 1926. In papers from the High-Command this sub-organization was not included anymore in October 1926;
    e) 1929 price-list from Der Stahlhof mentions (new) 6.0 cm wide belt with double-claw. These were mainly worn by leaders; (new) belt for the 4.5 cm buckle for Stahlhelm and Jungstahlhelm.
    No form is mentioned, but it is obvious this is the field-grey version;
    f) Handbook 1931 (from about March) mentions the buckle with large eagle only. ONLY available through the "Der Stahlhof"-source. They took care for
    manufacturing, which was done by various concerns. No other forms of buckles were mentioned;
    g) big advertisement from May 21, 1931 from Der Stahlhof about the buckles to be worn (attention).
    According to regulations this were the field-grey 4.5 cm wide versions for Stahlhelm and Jungstahlhelm (ges.gesch). Important is what is said now:
    all other forms of buckles, which are manufactured by concerns and sold by dealers and shops, especially those that do show the symbol for the Bund (the steel-helmet) as decoration in its middle are FORBIDDEN. These buckles were not contrary the protection of insignia for the organization. Manufacturers and so on were "seen in court!" In fact all buckles could only be purchased through Der Stahlhof-source.

This did not change anymore until the Bund became nazi, (as mentioned in an earlier post). Belt-buckles were not official anymore then.
    Hope this information helps a but in this discussion. I have checked various leaflets and cataloques and only four different forms were shown. Do not ask
    me where all the other forms come from. The field-grey buckles were not faked until the seventies (as far as I have found out). My Stahlhelm-mentor told me
    occasionally old dies were used.

Wilhelm/David, thank you both for your comments, for me a fascinating insight into the world of Stalhelm, one world that I have never really delved into as my main focus has mainly been on Heer buckles. As I have said in previous thread this is so interesting and really delves into what is really the birth and development of the TR. Also of note Wilhelm was this piece: The leaflets do show already at that moment the SS enlisted ranks buckle, which was a new item mentioned as "neu"
    in the Vbl.der OSAF from January 26, 1932, as "Neues Leibriemenschloss für die SS, ges.gesch". The buckle was
    introduced in about November 1931.
    Again I suppose documentation bringing in a time line for the introduction of the SS. Again many personal thanks from myself for this fascinating insight

Grusse

Ben
    Ben

Small Stahlhelmbund-Buckle.
    Gruß Max
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stahlhelmbund, Jung-Stahlhelmbund and Landsturm   Stahlhelmbund, Jung-Stahlhelmbund and Landsturm  

Unmarked Stahlhelmbund Buckle
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stahlhelmbund, Jung-Stahlhelmbund and Landsturm   Stahlhelmbund, Jung-Stahlhelmbund and Landsturm  

Ben

Just to add to this fantastic thread a "ugly claw" buckle
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stahlhelmbund, Jung-Stahlhelmbund and Landsturm  
    Attached Images Attached Images Stahlhelmbund, Jung-Stahlhelmbund and Landsturm 
    Ben

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast