Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Stahlhelmbund-Wehrsport

Article about: Hello Gents, Here a Belt buckle "Stahlhelmbund-Wehrsportabteilung" in steel, embossed, nickel-plated and painted "field gray" on the front... Regards Kabl!

?

interesting Wilhelm,
    I, for example, considered the "Front Heil" Buckle to be the "standard variant" of this federation.
    Many other collectors probably too!
    Of course, your comments throw a different light on the matter.
    Furthermore, it would be interesting for me to find out whether there was a contemporary wearing instruction for all local / provincial groups of the Stahlhelmbundes (reichseinheitlich)?
    Could every "Orts / Landesgruppe" decide for themselves which padlock it wore / bought?
    I can not prove it, but I find only a "salers Katalog "as something too "daring" to make it a "uniform for all Groups of The Stahlhelmbund in Germany " !
    There are (for me) still too many questions open!
    Best regards!
    kabl

Interessant Wilhelm,
    Ich hielt zB die Variante "Front Heil" bisher für die "Standartvariante" des Stahlhelmbund (da diese Stücke in deutlich größer Anzahl anzutreffen sind) und die anderen für besagte "Unterabteilungen " (Jungstahlhelm,Wehrsport Landsturm etc.)
    Nach deinem Beitrag muss ich das wohl überdenken!
    Allerdings bleiben (bei mir) da noch Fragen offen!
    Gab/Gibt es zeitgenössische Trage/Uniform Vorschriften für den Stahlhelmbund ?
    Könnte nicht jede "Orts/Landesgruppe " vielleicht im Reich seine Uniform/Ausrüstung selber beschaffen? zB. Aus dem VErkaufskatalog von Nölle& Hueck oder auch eine "Front Heil "Variante von Assmann öä.?
    Wurde genau DAS in einer Tragevorschrift geregelt oder nicht?
    Oder entschied vielleicht der Preis bzw das betreffende Mitglied,an Hand seines Geldbeutel,welche Koppelschlossvariante er trug?

Danke und Gruß
    Kabl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stahlhelmbund-Wehrsport  
    Last edited by kabl; 04-23-2018 at 12:27 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stahlhelmbund-Wehrsport
    P
    Many

That is what I meant with my earlier post!

Many guys know about buckles, and I read a lot of "blabla",
    but most of the buckle collectors have no real idea about the
    actual and official regulations. So, through the years a lot
    of nonsense is spread and accepted, which is not at all to and
    according the regulations. And so there are specific manufacturing
    standards. Maybe one day a real buckle-book will be available
    at the market.

As I said there are many variations of Stahlhelm-buckles, also
    shown in catalogues and leaflets from all kinds of manufacturers.

But read the text-parts here (the meaning must be obvious for you
    as you are able to read German). The first three lines already tell a lot.
    The High Command did not force members to buy another buckle
    when they already had purchased one (even an un-official version):

Stahlhelmbund-Wehrsport

Stahlhelmbund-Wehrsport

Of course regulations about insignia and uniforms do exist. But I will
    not scan this material and show it here. There are handbooks for many
    years! And since the Bund became nazi the official buckle was a
    double-claw. The Stahlhelm-Bund is one of my favorite organizations
    and I have some thousand clippings and copies from uniform booklets.

?

Wilhelm,
    Thanks for your explanations, that makes (for me) plausible!
    Seat of the "Stahlhof" is my hometown!
    Thank you and best regards
    kabl

?

Thank you, Wilhelm, for the additional sources!

If I may return to my original question about the Noelle & Hueck advert: This explains that the design is protected by law and they are the only authorised manufacturer of the three patterns illustrated, these being the only official buckles at that time. "Gesetzlich geschützt" means protected by law and clearly refers to the design. This ties in with the reference to "Warenschutz" in the texts referring to the Stahlhof in Magdeburg. But the advert also mentions a D.R.G.M. with the number 924278. D.R.G.M. is the official abbreviation for Deutsches Reichs-Gebrauchsmuster. The "Gebrauchsmuster" is, as I said before, the full patent's little brother and, like the patent, could only be regsitered fo a technological innovation. So, what could this have been for?

Further, and purely out of historical curiosity, Wilhelm, can you date the advert and the two other texts and give the publication they appeared in?

See post 6. I will have a look for the exact date,
    as I do not know it all out-of-heart!
    The two come from an advert from Der Stahlhof.
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 05-07-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Kurt D: some additional information.
    As mentioned before: there is a lot of buckle collecting; there is a lot of blabla. But a clue? Not often there!

a) Gesetzlich Geschützt. Only the design was gesetzlich geschützt that is correct, but NOT the manufacturing. It is literally said in the Stahlhelm-Bundesnachrichten nr.16 from April 18, 1926: mit künstlerischem, gesetzlich geschütztem Entwurf angefertigt. They were only available through the Wirtschaftsabteilung, as well as Noelle & Heuck-concern, who held the DRGM, Warenschutz.

Since the early 1930’s also other concerns did manufacturer this buckle and had the ges. gesch included (the ges.gesch is included in their catalogues and leaflets):
    Berg & Nolte (S = Stahlhelm, article-number 1777; J-S = Jungstahlhelm, aritcle-number 1776, both ges.gesch);
    Assmann: S, article-number 19476 and J-S, article-number 21016. Both ges. gesch;
    Overhoff appartently only did manufacturer the S version, article-number 0579;
    Haunstein manufactured also the S-version, article-number 1002b.
    I do not have the time to go through all of my leaflets and catalogues. The rights for the design were in the possession from the Stahlhelm-Organisation. Later they allowed also other concerns the manufacturing.
    The S and J-S buckle were ALWAYS the only official version. All other buckles with all kinds of patterns were not official, but the High Command did not force any member to buy the official pattern, when they already had purchased one.

b) Landsturm. It is not rare the Landsturm-buckle is scarce. The buckle was first mentioned April 18, 1926 and shown with the flyer with the three patterns from Noelle & Heuck and mentioned in the Bundes-Nachrichten. Due to a re-organization from October 3, 1926 it was said: Landsturm und ihre Abzeichen fallen fort. (Neu-Organisation from 3rd of October 1926, letter from the High Command, ziffre g). The sub-organization dissolved and did not exist anymore. So only for about five and a half months this type of buckle was manufactured and one was able to purchase.

c) The technical innovation will have been just the construction. I would not know any other reason. It is not mentioned anywhere. The iron will have been coated possibly. To know more, one should have or find the official papers.

d) The two parts from the announcement from Der Stahlhof are from May 25, 1931. When the Bund became nazi (NS. Frontkämpfer-Bund), the buckles officially had to disappear and from then on only a double-claw was to be worn (Die Bundestracht des NS. Deutschen Frontkämpfer-Bundes (Stahlhelm) from July 1934: die vorschriftsmässige Bundestracht, page 9: Lederkoppel mit Zweidornschnalle).
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 05-07-2018 at 02:40 PM.

?

Dear Wilhelm, thank you so much for this additional input on timelines and dates, as well as for the reference to other manufacturers of this pattern of buckle. I really do appreciate it. My Stahlhelm Landsturm buckle is shown in the pinned Stahlhelm thread in this section, as I believe is David North's example. Off hand, I cannot recall having seen another one of these. Although, doubless, others will exist.

Hello Kurt,
    thanks for the answer and yes I have seen a few others,
    but that will be four at the most in 45 years. They did not
    have one in the old Stahlhelm-archive.

Kurt D.
    The Warenschutz is largely related to the use of the steel-helmet
    and Jungstahlhelm-sword symbol, which is visible with all three
    shown drawings from the flyer.

?

Absolutely Wilhelm. By registering their symbols as proprietary designs (the legal term is Geschmacksmuster), the Stahlhelm was able to exclude all other parties from using them. Thus, their symbols were "gesetzlich geschützt".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2