Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Pebbled Costal Artillery buckle

Article about: A collector friend just sent me a few photos. Has anyone anyone ever seen a pebbled Costal Artillery buckle? It looks like a Arld marked tab with the eagle M stamp. The tab doesn't look like

Need better pics Kirby unless its just not clear on my phone
    Ben

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pebbled Costal Artillery buckle
    P
    Many

?

Not the best photos. He text them to me. I ask him to email them next time. That should be better quality.

?

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    The field-grey buckle was for navy units wearing field-grey (feldgraue Marine-Einheiten),
    as far as I remember.
    There are regulations for it, but I do not know them out-of-heart!!
    Indeed. M.Dv. 260 (Navy dress regulations) of 1935 and 1938 both prescribe the field grey buckle for the field grey uniform. The 1935 edition contains a colour drawing of the buckle, which is the pattern with the eagle and swastika. At the time of printing, this buckle wasn't even formally introduced! Interestingly, Hettler in his book on Wehrmacht uniforms (published 1939 with a 1940 supplement) shows a drawing with the gold buckle, and there are period photographs of field grey-clad navy wearing the gold buckle as well. Field grey navy dress is complicated in itself. Some units had field grey service dress and blue for walking out and parade, others field grey dress only, and regulations changed over time. I'm confused!

Kind regards
    Kurt

It is not the easiest matter Kurt, I agree. But is that not often to found
    with German regulations? I wonder if they themselves knew all about
    the differences!

?

You're spot on there, Wilhelm. Also makes resarching German uniforms kind of fun, in a way. Of course, there is frustration potential on two levels: The way regulations and changes to them were originally communicated, either in print (Verordnungsblätter, dress regulations etc.), or in manuscript form. And the uncertain historical record (the fragmentary and haphazard character of what survived the war and is accessible today either in libraries and archives or on the antiquarian market) There is enough to puzzle over to last a lifetime and more.

Kind regards
    Kurt

I should have started researching TR documents way earlier then I did now.
    I am in this field since about the earliest 1970's, but I should have when I
    first came in contact with German uniforms in the mid-1950's when I visited
    relatives at Solingen and a bunch of uniforms of their father were hanging in
    a closet. As far as I remember it was all field-grey naval material!

Later when I came back after a few years or so, all the material was thrown
    away into a dustbin! Oh what a shame. Their granddad had put together
    daggers and such for some factorie by home work in the cellar since the
    mid-1930's. I held many TR parts in my hands when I was about eleven
    years old.......No de-nazification at all.
    I always have regretted I did not collect in those years. In the later 1950's
    granddad had died and all stuff was gone. A totally empty cellar was the
    result.

?

Ah, all those missed opportunities! When I started collecting about a decade after you did (1983 to be precise) many people who were adults during the war were still alive and most families still had some odds and ends of militaria or decorations lying around somewhere. I was fourteen when I started "collecting" buckles and my plan was to ask all my parents' friends to show me (and - hopefully, give me) what they still had. My parents didn't approve as the Third Reich period was - and is - a touchy subject (unless you have a relative who was a certified opponent to the Nazis, in which case it is quite smart to flaunt your family connection). I was let loose on the wider family, however, but there wasn't a lot to be got there, just a de-nazidfied infantry officer's visor from a maternal great uncle, a WW1 IC2, some buttons. I was stoppoed from digging up my grandmother's garden to find that great-uncle's sword which she told me had been buried there after the US army occupied the village. What I did get are some great photos and photo albums.

Kind regards
    Kurt

1983 you started. One year later or so I sold my entire buckle-collection if I do remember well.
    Spread all over the world. When I stopped I had about 260-265. At that time quite a lot. For
    sure in Europe. I saw some great and big collections later with thousand or more. I know some
    guys quite collecting that stuff. For the money, no fun anymore or simply while one had died.

?

Back on topic, I found an old thread on WFA with a couple of pebbled KM buckles and a photo of one being worn.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pebbled Costal Artillery buckle   Pebbled Costal Artillery buckle  

Pebbled Costal Artillery buckle   Pebbled Costal Artillery buckle  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2