Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Butcher's Buckles

Article about: Here is one I picked up in Germany at a local store in the 80's. I'm sure it is recent production as there was a whole box of them and it was a retail store, not a flea market. It is a littl

Default Re: Butcher's Buckles

Here is one I picked up in Germany at a local store in the 80's. I'm sure it is recent production as there was a whole box of them and it was a retail store, not a flea market.
    It is a little smaller in size than a regular buckle and is chromed on the front.
    I guess some things don't change in spite of wars, politics, etc.
    Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Butcher's Buckles   Butcher's Buckles  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Butcher's Buckles
    P
    Many

Glenn

I think that the 35mm "Butchers Buckle" that you have shown is today still available to purchase:-

Koppelschlösser / Pfadfinderschliessen | Branscheid Kunststoff- + Metallwaren

Catalogue number 0739.

Regards,

David

David,

That is a great site! I have friends looking to fabricate items for their German kit and I'll pass it along to them. I seem to recall seeing buckles like their fire buckle and the schornsteinfeger buckle being touted as WWII.

Glenn

?

Hi collectors!

Here are some of my butcher buckles...

Regards,
    Christian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Butcher's Buckles   Butcher's Buckles  

Butcher's Buckles  

?

Another one

?

This one has a quite interesting design!

Well Christian, what can I say other than a very warm welcome and I am sure that I speak as one for the forum, by stating that we all look forward immensely to your future posts and contributions.

Thankyou for posting the trio of Butcher Guild buckles and all are of course quite distinct in their own strange way.

The first one does in my opinion have an elegant design and great to see the silvered on face plate, making the original solder points quite redundant. The poor old Imperial box though seems to have been "recycled" at least twice. Two regimental issue stampings and then, the ignominy of the Butchers Guild ! I always thought that brass boxes with regimental markings were generally avoided in the now well known cannibalisation and reissue practice undertaken within the early Weimar period.

Buckle two appears old, however the third buckle is bizarre and perhaps a tad macabre. Absolutely no ambiguity as to who wore this buckle and toward what they did. To my mind, this buckle as a group or genre has mid nineteenth century origins, although the somewhat naive imagery of the buckle design suggests much earlier. My imagination ?

What is that snake like thing hovering over the poor beast which is just about to meet it's maker ?

Regards,

David

?

Hi David,

thanks a lot for your kind words! I will post some of my left over buckles in the next weeks.

Back to the butchers. The third appears to be very old, but I've no idea from which period it is.
    I'm sure it is a buckle for butchers.

Take a look to the butchers group photo. The fellow to the left wear the buckle with the cow on the front. And the second from right has "mine" or a very similar buckle.

Christian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Butcher's Buckles  
    Attached Images Attached Images Butcher's Buckles  Butcher's Buckles 

Quote by David North View Post

What is that snake like thing hovering over the poor beast which is just about to meet it's maker ?

Regards,

David
    can this be a sausage... eine Wurst ?...because this is where the sausage is coming from ?

Christian, the buckles are great, but your pictures are topping it !

I still hope you will issue a " buckles in wear book " somedays !
    Thomas

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast