MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Firefighters Buckle Opinion

Article about: Hello, I would like to know the date of the buckle and what is the translation? Thanks. Regards Antonio

Default Firefighters Buckle Opinion

Hello, I would like to know the date of the buckle and what is the translation? Thanks.

Regards

Antonio
    Firefighters Buckle OpinionFirefighters Buckle Opinion

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Firefighters Buckle Opinion
    P
    Many

Default Re: Firefighters Buckle Opinion

"Gott zur Ehr - Dem Nächsten zur Wehr" was - and still is - the German firefighters' traditional motto. The phrase does not translate very well into English, but an approximate translation is "For the glory of God - In defense of your fellow man". I cannot comment on an approximate date for the buckle.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    "Gott zur Ehr - Dem Nächsten zur Wehr" was - and still is - the German firefighters' traditional motto. The phrase does not translate very well into English, but an approximate translation is "For the glory of God - In defense of your fellow man". I cannot comment on an approximate date for the buckle.

Thanks....HPL2008, , beautiful traditional motto.

Antonio, hard to put put a date on the buckle as these were aslo made post war but from the construction of yours I would say it is a pre 1945 buckle
    Ben

Thanks Ben, I also think it is pre-45, but I'm not sure.
    To see if any collector knows about this buckle.
    PARDON FOR MY BAD ENGLISH WRITING

Regards
    Antonio

Quote by coto129 View Post
    Thanks Ben, I also think it is pre-45, but I'm not sure.
    To see if any collector knows about this buckle.
    PARDON FOR MY BAD ENGLISH WRITING

Regards
    Antonio
    LOL, Antonio, there is nothing wrong with your English my friend
    Ben

Hello Gentlemen,

Antonio, a very nice Feuerwehr buckle and in my opinion almost certainly pre-1945. Of course Ben's correct that post-war examples of these are floating about out there and it's hard to be 100% sure. I believe your buckle is 1920-1933 vintage (Weimar Era) and perhaps early Weimar at that. This single-point method of affixing is, in my experience, indicative of earlier manufacture with some of these Feuerwehr buckles. The footed catch construction on your example is interesting as well. I think these are nice and somewhat underappreciated buckles. Here is a link to a prior discussion and attached is one of my examples displaying the same roundel design.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/belt-...buckles-28923/

Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Firefighters Buckle Opinion  

great looking buckles. As already mentioned....these buckles range from the 20's to today! They all deserve their place in German buckle collections though. Here are a couple from my example to add to this thread.

Cheers!

Rob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Firefighters Buckle Opinion   Firefighters Buckle Opinion  

second buckle...
    Attached Images Attached Images Firefighters Buckle Opinion  Firefighters Buckle Opinion  Firefighters Buckle Opinion  Firefighters Buckle Opinion 

Thanks lach470!!