Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 15 of 70 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 ... LastLast

Imperial German Buckles.

Article about: Next, 3 buckles with identical bodies but with different makers/sellers on the tabs. This design is by far my favourite. Really classy feel IMO. Each buckle is finished differently, one galv

Default Re: Imperial German Buckles.

Thanks for the reply and info, Richard. I'm waiting (impatiently!) for the private purchase buckle to arrive and will have to share my own photos here when it does. I know the roundel is nickel, but is the box on thie private purchase brass?

I know the TR buckles are more popular, so no surprise the study of imperials is way behind...hopefully catching up quickly, though. Does anyone know if Peter Nash's book is a fair reference for Imperial buckles? I'm also curious if anyone has an idea on the value of the above private purchase buckle or the two shown below. I believe these two are both model 1895 buckles, the 2nd nickel on brass and the first a nickel roundel but not exactly sure what type of metal.

Any help or info is, of course, much appreciated!
    Best,
    Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images Imperial German Buckles.  Imperial German Buckles. 
    Last edited by aechols83; 09-09-2010 at 06:30 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial German Buckles.
    P
    Many

Sorry, the photos are not uploading/attaching properly. I'll try posting them in a couple hours from home....

Okay, so here are the photos of the latest two buckles I referred to above. I misstated earlier, the first buckle is, I believe an 1845 model and the 2nd is the M1895. Is it odd that the solder points don't appear to be filled in much on the M1845 buckle?

Thanks for any and all help
    Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

Attached Images Attached Images Imperial German Buckles.  Imperial German Buckles. 

Hi Adam, yes the private purchase body will be brass. Yeah, Peter Nashs book is very good for Imperial buckles, probably the best there is. The 1845 looks a bit odd. I'm not aware that they have been copied (although they may have been); but it looks like someone has given it a severe cleaning making it look new. The second one is fine, the classic 1895, Cheers, Richard.

Thanks for the reply and info, Richard...much appreciated. I'll have to get a copy of Nash's book now as I seem to have truly been "bitten by the buckle bug" to now include imperials.
    Excitingly, my private purchase buckle arrived in the mail today...my first Imperial buckle! Here are my own photos I just took to share. Really happy with this one

Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

?

Nice one Adam... ! Yes, Peter Nash's book is great, so full of info... I've got it sitting here on my desk and I never stop looking at it... it really is a 'must'! Cheers... Hansi

Hi Adam, looks like the private purchase buckle body may be made of tombak, cheers, Richard.

Hi, all. Just wanted to show these two buckles I saw recently. I haven't gotten ahold of a copy of the Nash book yet, but using this super helpful thread as a reference, I believe the first is a standard Model 1895 Prussian and original. It was going cheap so I thought I might pick it up and "spruce" it up just a tad. The second is more confusing and suspect for me. It would appear to be a M1895 Bavarian but I have not found an adequate similar original example. It would also appear from these photos that the roundel perhaps had a silver wash at one point, which has been said would be odd for these buckles.
    Anyways, any help or comments on these two would be most appreciated. I have a couple Imperials on their way to me so I'll hopefully be sharing some more photos soon Btw, Richard...I do believe you are correct that the private purchase buckle of mine is Tombak.

Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Buckles.  
    Attached Images Attached Images Imperial German Buckles.  Imperial German Buckles.  Imperial German Buckles. 

Adam, the second buckle, the Bavarian, is correct, they also made the model 95' buckle, both its body and roundal from "messing", (brass) a copper/zinc alloy. Heres another all brass example.
    Prost ! Steve.

Thanks for the help and comparative example, Steve! In your opinion, does there appear to be traces of a silver wash on the brass roundel of the 2nd Bavarian buckle I have shown or is that some kind of grime? Did these ever have silver wash applied to the roundels?

Thanks,
    Adam

Page 15 of 70 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 ... LastLast