Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 33 of 70 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 ... LastLast

Imperial German Buckles.

Article about: Next, 3 buckles with identical bodies but with different makers/sellers on the tabs. This design is by far my favourite. Really classy feel IMO. Each buckle is finished differently, one galv

Default Re: Imperial German Buckles.

I have read in my book on Imperial German unit markings ( a book which is somewhere in my WW1 refenece section, but where???) that while "K" is normal for company, there were "C" used. I have seen a few 1914 mauser 7,65 pistols marked withthe "C" and believe they are not faked markings. Most of the things that I have marked are however, "K" marked.
    Jagdhorn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial German Buckles.
    P
    Many

Quote by jagdhorn View Post
    I have read in my book on Imperial German unit markings ( a book which is somewhere in my WW1 refenece section, but where???) that while "K" is normal for company, there were "C" used. I have seen a few 1914 mauser 7,65 pistols marked withthe "C" and believe they are not faked markings. Most of the things that I have marked are however, "K" marked.
    Jagdhorn
    Hi, Co. was also used to mean Company as we see in ww2 buckles made by Dr. Franke and Co. Maybe the ´C´stands for Cie? Cheers, Roland.

No, I fear thiws is not possible, though a good idea. The markings were not random, there were regulations as to how they were marked. (but they are not alwasy easy to follow, and there are markings far more expert people than I can't agree on. Sadly, even regualtions are hard to follow by the units that had to follow them!) Generally it is set up this way- First the unit, in larger type, then the company number, in smaller, then the number of the firearm, bayonet, etc in that company in the tiniest type.
    In Nol's book he listes the way markings varied;
    Infntry reg't 16, 3rd company the 120th weapon might mark their weapons and buckles, etc correctly : 16. R. 3. 120. However, it is possible they might mark them: 3.R.18.120 Oruse a k or c for company. Noll's points out the regualtions were only a guide for the armourers to follow. "Unit levels designators, Noll writes were sometimes omitted, such as A, B or K (kompagnie {also seen as C. for Compagnie})" page 20
    See the book " The Imperial German REgimental Marking" By Jeff Nolls. Great book. Great fun to try to understand these markings, and it gives me a reasont o want to buy more German stuff as I explain to my wife, I have to buy this so I can practice reading the markings! doesn't always work though.
    Jagdhorn

Hi Chaps, thanks for the reply's. I'm happy that the C stands for compagnie. It would seem logical to be that after 139R that it would be the company number & the original owner went from 3rd to 5th. By the way the II is the Army Corp District, Cheers, Richard.

?

Hello All,

The "II" could be a Garnitur number, which indicates the category of issue. Each Garnitur number indicated a specific purpose for wear, i.e., field use, garrison use, drill use, etc. This was often dictated by the condition of the piece. The Saxon corps were the XII and the XIX.

Chip
    Last edited by CCMJR; 04-02-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Hi Chip, thanks for the info. You live & learn. Checking the corps you are bang on. Do you know how many grades there were & the numbers that indicate them? Cheers, Richard.

Hello All.

I haven't had much to post in the way of Imperials lately but here is an interesting new piece. Seemingly a rather ordinary M1895 Prussian, however very interestingly marked on the reverse. Even more interesting, I have not been able to identify this "PS" or "SP" marking in any references.

If anyone has an opinion on this buckle, marking and the possible maker I'd be very interested and appreciative!

Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

Imperial German Buckles.  

?

On the other hand, it is possible that it could be a battalion number, especially if the company number matches (in this case if II.Battalion, then companies 5-8).

Garnitur numbers are normally found on clothing items. The system grades the condition with a series of marks (I's). So new condition is "I", and II through IIIII (2-5) are the various stages of wear or issuance. In 1916 the clothing depots began a new system of markings for items that were sent back to them for repair. "f" indicated "feldbrauchbare" for field use, "ga" for "garnisonbrauchbare" a better condition for garrison use and "gb" for a poorer condition for garrison use. When you see "J.B.A.X", you know that this item was sent to the "Instandsetzungsamt" of the tenth army corp for repair.

Chip

?

Here is one of my buckles.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

Quote by Mac 66 View Post
    Hi Folks, could you tell me if this is an origional Bavarian buckle or a fake?

Thanks Scott.

Attachment 180797Attachment 180798
    Hello,

this buckles are not a fake... (the M95 with 3 holes are fakes)... this buckles are a very rare version. I have 3 in my collektion... a prussian one, a württemberg und a bavarian like this. The Württemberg is made by JD16 (Deutschbein 1916)... an i think the prussion und the bavarian also made by this maker... the bavarain examples always black painted... this peace has lose the paint on the frontside.

Page 33 of 70 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 ... LastLast