Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 37 of 70 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 ... LastLast

Imperial German Buckles.

Article about: Next, 3 buckles with identical bodies but with different makers/sellers on the tabs. This design is by far my favourite. Really classy feel IMO. Each buckle is finished differently, one galv

?

Default Re: Imperial German Buckles.

Hello Jagdhorn. I'm the rookie here, but after going through all 36 pages of this thread after I got home from the estate sale, there are several idendical buckles shown as being the late war model of the M1916 buckle. But I defer to the experts like DUJAILAH. Thanks, Al in Dallas.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial German Buckles.
    P
    Many

Quote by hirsca View Post
    Thanks! Two questions-- (1) Do I leave it as is, or (shudder) do I try to clean off some of the rust; and (2) To document it in my data base, what should I put down as a value? Thanks again, Al in Dallas.
    Hi Al, (1) Take it easy when you clean it. I would try to just neutralise the rust. Dab with some WD40 on a cotton bud. This should remove loose rust & stop it getting worse. (2) As for value here's a mint one @ $95 World War One German Army EM/NCO's Belt Buckle in Original Tissue , Cheers, Richard.

P.S. Thanks for saying I'm an expert in the above; but I'm still learning like the rest of us.

Quote by jagdhorn View Post
    I have several German buckle books, but how can you tell this is a late war style?
    I have assumed the "C" shapedcatch is earlier, but I don't think it is a universal and accurate way of dating.
    Thanks for any help!
    Jagdhorn
    Hi jagdhorn, you've made a very good point, so here's my thinking. You're right that I'm assuming; but when I say late war I mean 1917/18 so mid to late really. You never see these olive green buckles with dated tabs, sadly (until I'm proved wrong of course!!!). I think this is an economy, mass production measure as the war progressed, even though I have a light grey painted buckle dated 1918 proving other producers continued to add tabs. Not all producers followed any rules as you can see from the different paint colours/finishes on M16's back in the thread. The problem with Imperial buckles is that until more hard evidence comes to the surface a lot of info is sadly guess work, hopefully educated!!!; but still guesswork, Cheers, Richard.

Quote by DUJAILAH View Post
    Hi jagdhorn, you've made a very good point, so here's my thinking. You're right that I'm assuming; but when I say late war I mean 1917/18 so mid to late really. You never see these olive green buckles with dated tabs, sadly (until I'm proved wrong of course!!!). I think this is an economy, mass production measure as the war progressed, even though I have a light grey painted buckle dated 1918 proving other producers continued to add tabs. Not all producers followed any rules as you can see from the different paint colours/finishes on M16's back in the thread. The problem with Imperial buckles is that until more hard evidence comes to the surface a lot of info is sadly guess work, hopefully educated!!!; but still guesswork, Cheers, Richard.
    Hi Richard;
    I reread my post and your answer, and I was not sure if I sounded a bit snippy. I don't mean it that way! Your answer is about what I believe to be true. tabs stopped pretty much with iron buckles, the grey- grey green- Green (?) paint varied widely. There were some transitional buckles- I have one steel/iron but with a sperate prussian shield. This one I call mid war, early iron. I have one that SEEMS to have a brass wash, but the prussian insignia is almost free of detail and the catch is horribly welded on. So, that one I call late! I assume "C" catches are early in the iron buckleproduction becasue htey are weaker, (I believe!) than the bridged catches. but nothing yet to prove it- or at least I have not found it.
    Jagdhorn

Hi jagdhorn, don't worry you weren't snippy & I wasn't offended at all. This is what the forum is all about. The only way we will come to some consensus is if we have these discussions & until we get hard evidence that is all we can do, All The Best, Richard.

Hi, please tell me what your thoughts are on this one? Thanks for the help.
    Tom
    Sorry for the bad photos.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

Hi Tom, it looks like a good M95 to me. Oddly the 'ears' are upright. Have they been bent up or never bent down? Cheers, Richard.

That's just it, I bought this and was looking at the photos again when I noticed that same thing which got me wondering if I had made a mistake.
    The buckle is presently in transit to me, but I'll post clearer photos once it arrives. Thanks for your help.
    Tom

Yeah, when you've got it you should be able to tell easily, Cheers, Richard.

It's obviously less common to find them this way, any idea why the ears were not bent over?
    Tom

Page 37 of 70 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 ... LastLast