Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 40 of 70 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 50 ... LastLast

Imperial German Buckles.

Article about: Next, 3 buckles with identical bodies but with different makers/sellers on the tabs. This design is by far my favourite. Really classy feel IMO. Each buckle is finished differently, one galv

Default Re: Imperial German Buckles.

Quote by DUJAILAH View Post
    Hi Anton, the first one looks fine & has the nice touch of the battle honours (see my one below). As for the second, you're quite right that it's been repaired with the dent showing on the back. But is it an old or new repair? The only way you can judge is, does the solder look new? Cheers, Richard.
    Richard,

The solder appears to be old, but how old is anyones guess (50 years? 70 years? 90 years?) However, I picked it up very reasonable so either way I don't believe I got hurt. Thanks to everyone for your opinions.

Anton

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial German Buckles.
    P
    Many

Hi Anton, if the repair looks old then that's great. You'd be able to tell new solder easily, Cheers, Richard.

?

new solder is transformed into an old special means I've done so buckle repair

?

here fotos of fresh repair (oldlike)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

?

original or not,i think yes but something confuses.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

?

help identify the hersteller on tab FR.ROT...1916 more do not read

Imperial German Buckles.  

Gents, recieved this buckle along with a cloth MG belt this morning, courtesy of member "Gagevet", who very kindly gave me these items, a BIG thanks to him !.....the buckle is in the style of an M16, a one piece stamping, but in brass/messing, not steel/pewter or iron, I searched this thread for a similiar buckle and found three, two of which were sadly not described, merely photographs, post #7 (a Saxon example) and #95....but on page 30, post #299 it appears to be the same type of buckle, explained in the next post by member Sleepwalker as thus..... "this buckles are not original imperial army buckles for service. In my experience this are private buckles after 1918 by a 'Traditionsverein' (Veterans club) this buckles were often reproduced after 1918 for veteran associations". However further research also shows this type/style is faked/copied, this is on the site "Das-koppelschloss.de" www.das-koppelschloss.de. I would like some views on this buckle so that we can decide what catagory to place these types of buckles in.....or is it a private purchase M95 ? I sadly have to admit that I do not own a reference book solely on belt buckles ! here I show my buckle (top 2 photos) and the fake from the above site for comparison, notice the lack of ears on the fake, mine has them albeit the metal is merely bent over as opposed to formed during pressing (see photo taken along rear of belt). Gents your views on this buckle will be greatly apprieciated. My buckle measures 53mm long x 50mm high. I would like to think it is a genuine Imperial buckle (A varient of some sort), but hey...I dont know everything ! Prost ! Steve.

Imperial German Buckles.  
    Attached Images Attached Images Imperial German Buckles.  Imperial German Buckles. 
    Last edited by oradour; 07-29-2011 at 04:07 PM.

"this buckles are not original imperial army buckles for service. In my experience this are private buckles after 1918 by a 'Traditionsverein' (Veterans club) this buckles were often reproduced after 1918 for veteran associations". However further research also shows this type/style is faked/copied, this is on the site "Das-koppelschloss.de" www.das-koppelschloss.de. I would like some views on this buckle so that we can decide what catagory to place these types of buckles in.....or is it a private purchase M95 ?

I believe it is a fake. I have only two German buckle reference books, niether show this buckle. I havehad three of these- one the catch fell off when I touched it, and there was no sign of wear on the back that would come from use.
    the crown is tipped to the viewers left , though otherwise the buckle seems to be a high quality stamping
    The back of the three that I had were all slightly different, which makes me suspicious. Also, the buckle is slightly bigger than the normal 1895 and slightly smaller than the 1847.
    I too have been told that it was a private purchase but I can't see that, as the buckles pre war are all two piece construction, at least from what I have seen or read.
    I wish mine were original transitional 1914-1918buckles, but sadly I have come to believe they were made perhaps at a time distant from us,but not in the Imperial period.
    But I hope I am wrong
    Jagdhorn

Jagdhorn...thanks for the input.... I had not noticed the cross leaning to the left ! its not looking good is it ! Prost ! Steve.

Hi Steve;
    I have hope! Many people have told me this is "real", but...
    Issue? I doubt this becasue one broke with finger pressure, and becasue no one has mentioned this buckle in any reference I have read, and because the wider than normal buckle.
    Private Purchase? It doesn't look any better than the issue buckle, in my opinion, in fact, I rather love the coppery tombec with the silver wappen.
    Some Post WW! German veteran organization? Seems odd, there are still original WW1 steel buckles showing up in (supposedly) the original wrapping paper. Why pay for a new one in brass? Why not use some of the old issue two part buckles from before the war? Perhaps they were in reserve, and vets could not get easy access? but then, why none showing up in photos of post war vet groups?

Tatal fake? This also makes little sense. WW1 buckles of all kinds are still affordable, and these brass ones have been around since the late 70/80 period (At least, that is what other collectors tell me). It would not make sese to me to repro these at that time- buckles then were very low cost.

So, I wear mine occationally, it is pretty enough, once I pretend no one will notice the tipped crown except a sharp eyed collector!
    Jagdhorn

Page 40 of 70 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 50 ... LastLast