Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial Prussian Tombak

Article about: Just got this one in, Prussian M95 tombak. The tombak seems to age differently to brass, presumably because of the copper content? Anyone noticed similar on their tombaks?

Default Imperial Prussian Tombak

Just got this one in, Prussian M95 tombak. The tombak seems to age differently to brass, presumably because of the copper content? Anyone noticed similar on their tombaks?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial Prussian Tombak   Imperial Prussian Tombak  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial Prussian Tombak
    P
    Many

Bit strange Lenny, I wonder why it has turned black, the Tombak buckles I have owned have also had a lovely patina to them, I will post pics tomorrow if I can find them, at work at mo on nights
    Ben

Cheers Ben, presuming it's to do with storage....

That's strange, the non black areas look like annealed copper!...

These tombak buckles are non regulation items which were privately owned for use with the walking out uniform

They were usually of better quality than the regulation buckles made of brass and were very carefully cleaned in order to be shiny in the same manner as the tombak buttons of the dark blue uniform

This particular example is very dirty and may have stayed a long time in a damp place, thus the blackened look

Personally, i clean these buckles once after i bought it, with a copper polish and then i leave the patina to come back after a few months

I've just noticed that this has the Christian cross on top of crown rather than the Iron Cross looking cross normally found on Prussians. I thought this was an earlier style?