Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial Saxon Brass/Nickle?

Article about: Hi guys, Another buckle I've just picked up. It's an interesting Saxon one, weird in fact. Correct width, but about 5mm longer than a standard Imperial. Also the catch has been repaired with

Default Imperial Saxon Brass/Nickle?

Hi guys,

Another buckle I've just picked up. It's an interesting Saxon one, weird in fact. Correct width, but about 5mm longer than a standard Imperial. Also the catch has been repaired with a part of a belt hook. Notice the longer ears, which I've seen in Nash's book. Also the prongs are wider apart, about 21mm rather than the usual 16-17mm.

The other thing weird? The nickel centre piece is on upside down... I had thought when hook was repaired the centre piece was accidently put on upside down, but why would it be off in first place? I'm happy that the repairs are old, but who knows exactly how old?

Anyone seen anything like this before?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial Saxon Brass/Nickle?   Imperial Saxon Brass/Nickle?  

Imperial Saxon Brass/Nickle?   Imperial Saxon Brass/Nickle?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial Saxon Brass/Nickle?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Imperial Saxon Brass/Nickle?

Looks like a postwar owner tried to get creative so he could wear it with his belt, not being able to tell that the roundel was upside down....
    Could have been done by a biker in the 70s, making the repair 40-odd years old already....just my opinion..
    cheers, Glenn

Agreed with Glenn...a good buckle crudely ruined postwar by an idiot...
    (And a Probable left-handed idiot at That...)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Cheers guys, worth it at the price I paid. Would you repair, as in unsolder and re-solder the centre piece the right way around?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    ...a good buckle crudely ruined postwar by an idiot...
    (And a Probable left-handed idiot at That...)
    I wouldn't say so and unless you mean "post-WWI." In my opinion, pre-1945 and agree converted, albeit a bit crudely, for a left-handed wearer, likely a Sachsen veteran. Personally I would leave it as is.

Best,
    Adam

It may Possibly have been done by a one armed WWI Veteran....but it is impossible to ever say conclusively one way or the other. Either way, it is pretty much ruined as for value and is only a curiosity now of questionable provenance.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Cheers guys, it is what it is, and I like the weird ones...