Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Pre WWI Colonial Buckle

Article about: Picked this oldie up recently. The old guy is missing one prong but still in really nice condition with an interesting belt catch. Cheers. Jeff

?

Here is a similiar one but the belt catch is more familiar, and I did not pay close to the price CG wants for this one.

The Collector's Guild

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pre WWI Colonial Buckle
    P
    Many

Hello,

very fine example of a private purchase buckle for Seebataillone, Schutztruppe and other smaller imperial units
    I have in my collection a similar buckle with the same very highly detailed imperial crown, but the box is made of tombak and with the usual double claw at the back

Beautiful example and hard to find, bravo !!!

?

Bumping this one up hoping David North can review this oldie. Picked this up earlier this year for a good price because I liked it and the condition was very good. However, I recently looked at the Helmut Weitze site and he has 5-6 similiar buckles going for some fairly respectable prices etc. But none of them have this type of backside or this catch. Any addition input/opinions appreciated.

Dear Jeff

You give me too much credit, as Imperial is not at all my forte. Having said that, show me an Imperial buckle where the box has been cannibalised and in order to support a roundel from the NSDAP Kampfzeit, then I adopt my well rehearsed "ferret up a drainpipe" routine.

Your buckle is outstanding and for those who collect the genre, highly desirable and highly collectible.

For research purposes, the clue has already been provided by others more knowledgeable than myself.

The reverse mechanism is remarkable and both Catella (page 102) and Bandau (pages 11 and 34) show examples of the so called "Rollenverschluss", however nothing exactly the same as yours. Neither Catella or Bandau refer to this roller/clamp arrangement as relating to walking out buckles. Logic dictates so as this mechanism would be quite incapable of withstanding the rigours of field use and this of course is the clue for further research and to who actually wore this walking out buckle.

Regards,

David

?

Many thanks for your time and input here David. And also to the others who responded earlier. As I mention, I became reinterested in this buckle after recently seeing several similiar buckles at the Weitze shop. Being one of the 1st buckles I acquired in my collection this year, I'll chalk this one up to 'beginners luck'

Cheers,
    Jeff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2