Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Prussian steel 2 piece

Article about: Looks like the same maker as yours!

?

Thanks for that Lenny. You are probably correct but I recently purchased one with belt on an online auction. This one has a fair amount of rust and does not have it's tab but, due DUJAILAH's excellent thread on Imperial buckles, I knew exactly what I saw and was able to get it for a reasonable price. Hopefully, the link here will still work:

WWI Imperial German Army Belt and Buckle Gott Mit UNS Neat Original Piece | eBay

Sadly, I do not have access to a camera, but there are remnants of what appears to be some form of gray plating (maybe zinc?) rather than paint.

While the buckle does not have it's tab, the belt faintly shows a date of either 1915 or 1916 along with an illegible maker's name above the date.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Prussian steel 2 piece
    P
    Many

I really like the condition of the set and its stamp !

That's good for $91, like it..

?

Thank you, I am quite happy with it as well.

Earlier this week I just missed a two-piece steel buckle with a 1915 dated tab. Ah well, can't have them all I suppose.

Very nice and hard to find buckles gentlemen, thanks for posting them!

I have 1-Prussian two piece in all steel construction, 1-Prussian two piece in all hartzinn (pewter) that is not maker marked but has a nice marked leather tab dated 1915. And I just received a nice Prussian two piece in all hartzinn (pewter) with G.H. Osang 1915 maker mark and a leather tab that is 1915 dated with a faint maker name.

I also have several Saxon buckles in 2-piece steel, and a couple of Wurttemburg examples as well.

I'll try to post some photos later today.

Best Regards,

Alan

?

Looking forward to seeing them.

?

I have recently purchased several two piece steel buckles, I will do my best to get them photographed and add them to this thread. Here is the first:

Prussian steel 2 piece

I do wish that the photos were better but I have to admit that I am using the seller's images. The buckle has a bright, smooth finish on the steel body and light gray paint on the shield.

Prussian steel 2 piece

Another photo of the face, not as clear as the first above but may show some more detail.

Prussian steel 2 piece

This is the one that interests me the most, a medium gray paint on the interior of the buckle and the shield is shown attached not by solder but by pins. The attachment is very solid.

Also, there is no loop for the belt's hook, it has a strong arrangement more often seen on brass buckles. I did recently see another 2 piece steel buckle - Bavarian - with this same hook catch arrangement and maker marked "Wimmer & Lewy" of Leipzig and dated 1914. That's right, 1914 and it is steel. The Bavarian crest on that one is attached by 4 pins. It can be seen here:

Bavarian Steel belt buckle - Equipment - Great War Forum

Hi, I have a Wimmer and Lewy dated 1914, that I wear every day ( pictured earlier on this forum. The crest is fixed by soldering.

Mfg
    Marc

Quote by USNV5 View Post
    I have recently purchased several two piece steel buckles, I will do my best to get them photographed and add them to this thread. Here is the first:

Prussian steel 2 piece

I do wish that the photos were better but I have to admit that I am using the seller's images. The buckle has a bright, smooth finish on the steel body and light gray paint on the shield.

Prussian steel 2 piece

Another photo of the face, not as clear as the first above but may show some more detail.

Prussian steel 2 piece

This is the one that interests me the most, a medium gray paint on the interior of the buckle and the shield is shown attached not by solder but by pins. The attachment is very solid.

Also, there is no loop for the belt's hook, it has a strong arrangement more often seen on brass buckles. I did recently see another 2 piece steel buckle - Bavarian - with this same hook catch arrangement and maker marked "Wimmer & Lewy" of Leipzig and dated 1914. That's right, 1914 and it is steel. The Bavarian crest on that one is attached by 4 pins. It can be seen here:

Bavarian Steel belt buckle - Equipment - Great War Forum
    I am not a fan of that buckle to be honest, I normally collect Weimar buckles onwards, for me not a good buckle
    Ben

?

Thanks for your post Ben.

I hope to hear any opinions others more experienced with Imperial buckles than I am may have.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3