Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

1st and Second Variation USMC Lightweight Helmet's

Article about: I do not post often to forums any more but thought I might share this hard to find 1st variation USMC lightweight helmet as produced by Gentex with matching early Marpat reversible camo cove

?

Default 1st and Second Variation USMC Lightweight Helmet's

I do not post often to forums any more but thought I might share this hard to find 1st variation USMC lightweight helmet as produced by Gentex with matching early Marpat reversible camo cover... and the Second Generation lightweight for comparison..
    This particular example was produced in December of 2004 these were first issued with a very complicated suspension/harness,sweatband and multi adjustable chinstrap system... In accordance with MARADMIN 480/06 dated October 5 2006 all helmets in this configuration were to be retro fitted with a new Headband/Crown pad Suspension up-grade which makes these hard to find in this early un-altered state.
    These weigh in at approx 51.7 Oz the standard PASGT helmet in a comparable large size weighs in at 58.0 Oz...This helmet came out-fitted with a Rhino NVG and mount..
    And for comparison a second generation Marine Corps lightweight as produced by Gentex and is dated to March of 2007 it has a reversible Marpat cover and is sporting a surefire helmet light with IFF beacon and another VIP, MS2000, IR Guardian on the rear...

Regards Mark Kozowy

Nice helmets....and great pics...thanks Mark

Just checked mine as I couldn't remember what I had.....mine's a headband / Pad hybrid. Velcro receivers on the plastic headband....with pads..... Now I'm confused.

PS 'glad you're still posting...even if it is only a little bit! :-)

Great Examples Mark and as always well displayed ,i agree with Ade as your posts however infrequent are always interesting to view and also a great write up accompanying the pictures ,I too have moved away from the more mainstream forums for the time being and feel more within my comfort zone over here on war relics. if you need to contact me drop us a pm over here mate

?

Many thanx for the reply Adrian and as to the liner in your example I really do not know what to think ...perhaps a little more investigation is in order on my part could your USMC LW have a form of transitional liner pre the for mentioned change over of October 5 2006 am I miss-informed and missing a piece of the puzzle..😉
    Hi a James good to hear from you mate I think my hyadis from the WRF has been long enough I may well start contributing again as I tire of the show and tell mentality of the other on-line venues that I have been frequenting...
    It has been a busy summer so far between a hectic work schedule and doing re-shoots of my helmet collection for a new blog I will be putting together for the fall of this year ...

Kind regards Mark Kozowy

Good to hear Mark i find topics and postings are more set in stone here ,perhaps not so fast paced as the mainstream but at least not a case of here today gone later on today ,I'm not knocking the other venues and will return one day but for now time to put a little back over here as i know i have neglected the place ,Sometimes it gets frustrating when the replies don't come forth as quickly as we would like and easy to lose interest but there are a few core members here who you can guarantee will reply eventually
    The new blog sounds an exciting venture collating all those fine lids and info in your collection under one roof so please keep us informed mate

Great helmets, excellent pics and accompanying discussion, just what is needed on a forum.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanx Jerry they are an interesting helmet system Ade I have managed to spend just a little time this morning to see if perhaps your example was sporting a liner variation by Unicor and or Gentex that I had not run a cross yet unfortunately I have hit a brick wall as it were in regards to any new information...
    It is rather interesting that your example still has it's original headband as seen in the first variation USMC LW and it is still sporting the first variation MARPAT cover with the Velcro attachment loops..
    Are any of the pads in your example marked on the reverse side with the manufactures name and or identification code which should give us a hint as to there production date ..

Regards Mark