MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

brit lids

Article about: afternoon all ,well as the sun was shining up here in north wales i thought it would be a good opportunity to dig out a couple of my british helmets ,in case your not familiar left to right

thanks opex ,for some reason post ww2 british helmets dont seem to attract much attention ,but i reckon once Camouflaged with covers netting and scrim you cant beat them for a fine display piece
    Last edited by James C; 03-02-2014 at 01:51 PM.

?

Quote by James C View Post
    thanks opex ,for some reason post ww2 british helmets dont seem to attract much attention ,but i reckon once Camouflaged with covers netting and scrim you cant beat them for a fine display peice

Your welcome James, I agree with your comment about post war Brit helmets not attracting too much attention, which is a shame really, still you and I and many others appreciate their "quirky" shapes and features ( the Turtle shell being a classic "oddball" shape IMHO).

I was pleased as a collector when the MoD overhauled the MK6 and created the MK6A, the liner is far superior, I'm still in the market for a Mk 7, but due to the prices and my suspicion that they are possibly not "legal" to own yet , as they might not have been officially let onto the surplus market I have resisted.

I must admit when the Mk6 was issued I was not all that keen on the profile, but it has certainly grown on me over the years, I now probably have to many in my collection, like 80's US M1's and Euro M1 clones....OCD collecting has dented my cash flow too much over the years

many thanks for your thoughts opex we are in agreement ,the lack of interest can only be a good thing for us helmet collectors perhaps as uk residents we have rose tinted glasses on coupled perhaps with a hint of nostalgia ,i too have an ocd for the british mk6 too ,i reckon if it wasnt down to the amount of different pattern covers issued ,id only have one example

?

Quote by James C View Post
    many thanks for your thoughts opex we are in agreement ,the lack of interest can only be a good thing for us helmet collectors perhaps as uk residents we have rose tinted glasses on coupled perhaps with a hint of nostalgia ,i too have an ocd for the british mk6 too ,i reckon if it wasnt down to the amount of different pattern covers issued ,id only have one example
    LOL..Yes that's a very salient point, in order for me to display the Temperate,Desert,MTP,UN I have to have at least four Mk6's as standard, but of then course there was the first issue DDPM then the later issue DDPM, and then the various early to late Temperate DPM so that's another variation,then the other covers ah where will it end??

Good job they are so readily available on the surplus market, and soooo cheap

?

seandm, an absolutely fantastic British composite collection you got there, very impressive.

And now the awkward question what is the legality of owning a Mk7 , are they officially MoD surplus material, I know they can be sourced through UK ebay very easily, all be it very expensive on the pay pal account, there's even a Finnish based seller selling them..but are they "legal " to own, I am not a moralist just curious??

Either way it's great to see the British troops wearing a helmet that is fit for purpose....at last!!

Regards.

?

Love those outdoor pics of your scrimmed and covered British lids James, way too cool!
    Some really great pieces of British helmet evolution James and Sean.
    I fail to see why these lids wouldn't be desirable, or command attention , regardless of their postwar status.
    Thanks for showing to you both.

Brad.

?

Hi Opex, Good question, I will be 100% honest and say I dont know for sure. I think they are now more recently available as surplus, SOF are selling them so I would say yes its legal. I paid well over the odds for mine last year from a current serving soldier. I understand some might have opposing views on this but I am just being honest. I know some scaremongers would maybe say "Ohh the MOD police will be knocking on your door" But I didnt steal it I paid good money for it and truth be told the legality of buying a helmet has never crossed my mind when browsing and or purchasing and this was the same case with the MK7.

?

Quote by seandm View Post
    Hi Opex, Good question, I will be 100% honest and say I dont know for sure. I think they are now more recently available as surplus, SOF are selling them so I would say yes its legal. I paid well over the odds for mine last year from a current serving soldier. I understand some might have opposing views on this but I am just being honest. I know some scaremongers would maybe say "Ohh the MOD police will be knocking on your door" But I didnt steal it I paid good money for it and truth be told the legality of buying a helmet has never crossed my mind when browsing and or purchasing and this was the same case with the MK7.

Hi sean, no problem, as before I am not a moralist (you the know the type to frown on others modern kit purchases), in fact I want one too!

I can remember when I collected some MTP Uniforms back in 2010, and funny enough there was the scaremonger types who raised their concerns over the "mod plod" knocking on my door too ?????

It is interesting to know that SOF are selling them, thanks for that ,I will check that out.

Look forward to seeing more of your collection ,Regards Gary.

?

Hey Gary, Yeah I know what you mean and when people including serving soldiers are selling it people will buy it. It happens on a massive scale. Always has done. I myself as a collector like to buy the kit, It does annoy me slightly when people say stuff like that "MOD plod be knocking on your door" I understand their point of view respectively it was issued with a purpose for our troops but I have never heard of the MOD police knocking on a civilians door confiscating bought equipment, I have however heard about them going to military and surplus stores and doing so but that is when its in bulk and the last time I heard of it happening was few years ago now, See now MTP uniform, equipment and the MK7 along with other kit has been in circulation since roughly 2009 maybe earlier so its not exactly brand new anymore anyway and is available as surplus in military stores etc now. My local surplus store had MTP kit pretty much from the word go! SOF are charging £175 for used condition MK7's which is ridiculous and surely if the MOD police were cracking down on kit being sold they would just cut it out on the online sites like ebay etc or nab the troops selling it rather than waiting for joey civilian to buy his new kit then knock on the door and take it back. This all said with us collectors finding it a bit of a grey area buying current issue kit, equipment etc, I will say I would never buy kit if I thought it had been obtained illegally ie stolen from stores etc to sell for profit. My kit is usually always from surplus or on the rare occasion like my MK7 bought from serving personnel that no longer require it or have it as spare kit. Cheers Sean.

many thanks brad its reassuring knowing you find our british helmets appealing too mate and thanks for your thoughts on the mk7 sean and the mtp kit in private collections ,you explained it very well

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast