Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

British Mk6 helmet

Article about: Hello! It has been quite a long time since I have last posted here, a few years actually now that I think of it. I do apologize for my extended absence, but the years have treated me kindly

HI Composite ,just noticed in passing my two examples ,i haven't really looked at them in depth but noticed the chincup section in particular one is a closed loop with chamois comfort section the other is open loop with chamois trim ,just thought even though a minor detail worth an ask

Think i might have a slight OCD for the mk6 desert dpm temperate covers ,The three on the right date to around the first gulf war 1990/91 that im certain ,the ones on the left i believe are later issue ,does anybody have a guide for the later stock codes please as id like to positively identify the year of manufacture if possible ?from what i can see i have DC1 DC2 and OC2 Codes British Mk6 helmetBritish Mk6 helmetBritish Mk6 helmetBritish Mk6 helmetBritish Mk6 helmetBritish Mk6 helmetBritish Mk6 helmet

...'was told recently (and can't remember by whom) that 6's are being released big-time at the moment and some dealers /wholesalers are sitting on tens of thousands of them...well, there goes the market price!!! BUT on the positive side....here comes all those little quirky things we find amongst the pack....assuming we can be bothered to sort through all those bins!!!

Quote by Composite View Post
    ...'was told recently (and can't remember by whom) that 6's are being released big-time at the moment and some dealers /wholesalers are sitting on tens of thousands of them...well, there goes the market price!!! BUT on the positive side....here comes all those little quirky things we find amongst the pack....assuming we can be bothered to sort through all those bins!!!
    Quite likely and to be expected.

This always happens when an item is replaced in the invertory as with the Mk6 being superceeded by the Mk7 and other models following. Unlike cases in which an item is simply a later version of the same thing and the old item continues in use as "obsolescent" (as opposed to obsolete) until the old item is "wasted out", the replacement combat helmet is a completely different and improved item.

So, the stocks are built up until such a point that the initial issue can be made and sustained then the reserve stocks continue to build until the required stock levels of first line, maintenance and reserve are achieved. At this point the old (in this case the Mk6) items that have been back loaded through the supply chain (over and above the steady trickle of disposals due to usage that occurs throughout the service period) are disposed of as surplus follwed by (if not concurrently) the remaining maintenance and reserve stocks of brand new items.

Yes, the price will likely fall but of course it will recover once the fancy dressers, paintball / airsoft fraternity and kids have destroyed as many as they surely will. So, any collector looking to add a minty example to his collection should find excellent deals around. As stated above there will be oddities in the pile so helmet enthusiasts should be prepared to root about and don't forget that the jamboree will probably include the Mk6A which many collectors fail to appreciate was used in the field Army as well as RN and RAF. We will soon get an idea at big shows like the War and Peace I reckon.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Composite View Post
    Well I have absolutely ZERO interest in whether the price is maintained or anything like that. I buy for my own entertainment NOW not for investment, and as far as I am concerned the cheaper things are the better, not just for me but for the many collectors who need to watch their spending so they can eat and heat as well as add to their collections. I see nothing intrinsically good in the price of what is essentially ex-army junk (of whatever area or era) rising like the price of houses.

And I certainly would be the first in the queue to root through bins full of Mk6s, assuming I could actually find any within reasonable reach. There's an assumption. But the spirit is willing. Where are all those early 80s Thetfords?

As something of a novice to the subject, this was an interesting and informative these on the mk6. Thanks to all who contributed their time and knowledge.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

....am I going mad???

I'm trying to find photos (or even the lid itself!) of a Mk6 with a cloth covered front pad (and possibly rear pad too).......did I dream it or have these bits ALWAYS been black leather?

It was my first Mk6, fresh back from the Gulf....desert cover......Nottingham Arms Fairs (ahhh they were the days).....I can "see" it now....I just can't SEE it....... was it all a dream? am I living a Shower Scene???

Two Mk6 helmets saved from a Skip
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Mk6 helmet   British Mk6 helmet  

British Mk6 helmet   British Mk6 helmet  

This thread is the closest we've got to a "Mk6/Mk6A Visor" thread....why DO so many people start an entirely new thread rather than use existing ones??....I know why......LAZY!!....

Anyway, 'not sure if we've covered this BFOV anywhere else....it's sooooooo big there's two sets of retaining swivel catches to facilitate higher or lower wearing. It came on the 6A along with some mine-clearing bits...I haven't found any markings yet ....it's soooooo big I'm studying it in patches!

British Mk6 helmet

How big is it you ask?....well, I had to use a video camera to get it all in!

....apparently it's the only helmet attachment that's visible from space.......you should've seen the box it came in......carried on an Artic' (that's a "Semi" to some of you)........it actually had a small red light on top to warn low flying planes...

OK so I lied about the red light......

The last visor shown is part of the Mine clearing PPE set , it all comes in a large holdall with mine prodder and body armor suit

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast