Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

British Mk6 helmet

Article about: Hello! It has been quite a long time since I have last posted here, a few years actually now that I think of it. I do apologize for my extended absence, but the years have treated me kindly

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    That provokes a few memories for me.
    Is that a Westland Scout helicopter?

Regards

Mark
    Yes, that's a Scout. I didn't work on them when they were in service but we were still using them for things like Battle Damage Repair training in 1999...

As in that photo … note the legs of a colleague, who is strengthening the internal structure, sticking out of the bottom hatch … while I file the edges where we've cut away aircraft skin damaged by 'small arms fire'... all while under NBC conditions

Here's an odd one....a said-to-be P-Company-used Mk6.

The inner side has the classic P-Company painted panel (red in this case) for name etc....but it's also got a Mk5 "sock liner" fitted inside (through the strap bolts) and a bespoke hanging strap / snap-closure hook. Underneath the DPM cover (with thick bungee respirator strap) is a small number painted front and back...it's "33"....you may just be able to make it out......

British Mk6 helmetBritish Mk6 helmetBritish Mk6 helmet

Subtle… for Paras

Just a quick update to say that, as at today, I'm not the only 'squaddie' still with one...

As directing staff on an assessment event today (which involved an assault course & hence required participants to wear helmets), one of the guys was using a Mk6.

Most did have Mk7 / Virtus though!
    Last edited by brickie501; 10-16-2019 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Typos

I've just picked up a tatty 'smooth' Mk6. I've missed it if its already been established somewhere, but do these help narrow down the switchover between the types of Mk6?

As my 1986 example is definitely 'smooth' & my 1988/89 is 'rough', that suggests the crossover was 1987 or 1988. It seems odd that the 'year' of my later one is 1988/89, especially as other examples (as well as other Brit composite types) seem to show just one year. So, are the last 'smooth' ones dated 1988, with 1988/89 signifying the shift part way (late?) in that year?

Here are my two side-by-side (with label details inset):
    British Mk6 helmet
    Last edited by brickie501; 11-03-2019 at 05:54 PM.

...that’s a work-in-progress......

I’ve just scanned the Composite History thread....we need more info.....trouble is we don’t know if Smooth Mk6s were all recalled or refurb’d as/when

....and when did labels move from the side to behind the rear pad?

?

There were plenty of smoothies in use at least till 94.
    I didn't know until this forum that there was a refurb program.
    When smoothie scratched they were black underneath, but I never noticed this with the textured ones. Was the manufacturing process slightly different?

....well, a 1983 NEI-made smoothie just sold for £99 on Ebay.....I've bought PECOC trials helmets for less than that!

Bung a decal on the side and you're looking at £1,000....and a lot more replies :-)

I would heartily laugh at this except for the fact that some years ago I ran up a total of well over £100 acquiring a R.O.A.D. GLASCOED labelled example from the USA. Cost of the thing, postage, and even bloody Customs charge, one damned thing after another. I don't regret it even though the seller was an unpleasant character who I thoroughly regret having any dealings with.

Mind you a 1983 NEI isn't terrifically uncommon - maybe your man was on a deadline and cost was ignored. Or something. I'd probably pay that for a PM model if I had to, I have to say.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast