Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

British Parachute helmet

Article about: Morning everyone, I want to show you this helmet just arrived in my collection. For some time I was looking a British Para helmet complete by all original parts, in good condition, but howev

I do like these more up to date Ballistic Helmets,but there's certainly a huge variety amongst them,and it must be quite a challenge for someone getting into collecting these fascinating Lids............

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    I do like these more up to date Ballistic Helmets,but there's certainly a huge variety amongst them,and it must be quite a challenge for someone getting into collecting these fascinating Lids............
    Here's your primer, Rudders, and there should be a long-awaited update soon, too.

Composite Helmets, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets International Guide

Thanks Rudder of your positive comments!
    I'm glad you enjoyed it, actually know much better the helmets of earlier times and I must say that the world of composite helmets is fairly new for me, but I find it very interesting, of course are very cautious and try to carefully select purchases.

Roberto

Thanks Greg,i was hoping you would try and deter me rather than encouraging me Lol,the thing with these composite types is its not just one country but a vast network and nearly all support some fantastic examples,i like obviously US kevs/mich etc but the South African types look an eye catcher,but also many which are up for sale are not all military,many police/riot versions are present,so you do really need to know your onions.i'll have a read of your fantastic website,see if i can educate myself,now who feels the newbie.

i like obviously US kevs/mich etc but the South African types look an eye catcher,but also many which are up for sale are not all military,many police/riot versions are present,so you do really need to know your onions.
    OK then, if you are specifically interested in military helmets as opposed to police or otherwise commercial offerings, then a good start point is to go by the colour. It isn't infallible, but its a good pointer that if the helmet is green or tan or brown it is almost certainly military, if it is black or any shade of blue (except UN blue) then it is probably police or commercial (journalists, aid agencies, etc).

Obviously 'special forces' helmets are usually black (it reinforces their image, is the only reason I can think of!) but a good way to tell a probably SF helmet is the chinstrap rig and liner - if it is a good adjustable liner with a strong four-piece strap, that its probably a SF helmet. But remember this is *general* observation, not certainty.

There are a genuinely stunning number of composite helmets - for a real surprise take a look at the Chinese website Alibaba - too many little companies knocking them to count! The thing is that composites -once you have the 'formula' and some comparatively simple (but fairly sophisticated) equipment, are quite easy to make; no huge steel mills, no massive presses. It isn't particularly labour-intensive either. I've seen video of compo factories where there seem to be a few dozen people sitting around making them up. So you get lots of product offered. Some of it never successful; that South Korean helmet I wrote up today is probably one, and another I recently got, a British Courtaulds Aerospace from 1997, never got anywhere, never sold, abandoned and forgotten. My example has individual number 5! I can't find any information on it anywhere (its model AC700/450 - anyone know anything?)

So anyway, by narrowing down your focus you can make a bit of progress in the direction you think you want to go. There are a couple of useful websites about the US helmets specifically.

Just had a look on the ebay,blimey how much for an ACH MICH?think i need a second income..................

Take your time. Even the now commonplace British Mk6A and Mk7 were really hard to find - and had really substantial prices - a while back. Prices of newer kit will probably drop with time. Composites are not cheap, I grant you, but keep your eyes open and look for things that have been wrongly described and you'll soon find a few comparative bargains. Actually compos *are* cheap when compared to TR helmets, for example, but that doesn't make paying for them any easier. I certainly don't have a lot of disposable income, I can assure you!

Actually, one worrying thing I was told recently is that there's a tendency for more governments to put more rules on the disposal of body armour, which includes composite helmets. Some already did that - it's fantastically hard to find either model of the Swedish Hjalm90, for example - and if more destroy rather than surplus then there's less for us. So maybe don't assume that because the Belgian 826 seems 'dull and ordinary' today you'll be able to get one in five years time.

I hear you Greg,the US enforced this a few years back,obviously there's a few reasons for this doing,think its going to be a waiting game and plenty of patience to boot,thanks for your help and wisdom as always.................

Sorry Roberto if i took this thread slighty off coarse from your original posting,i do get easily sidetracked Lol.

Hello to all,
    I want to show you this helmet I added to my small collection of composite helmets.
    The operative British Para helmets are among my favorites for the beautiful and always different camouflage covers you can find on them.
    In this case we have a Mk6 DPM Woodland cover, from which has been removed the foliage bands and added the net, all kept together by an elastic with "cat eyes" very discolored by the sun but still sufficiently elastic; the ends of the chin strap were fixed with green snipers tape.
    I did not remove the cover so as not to alter the set, but I just lifted a cover side to check it below: the helmet is in perfect condition with the bolts holding the liner in place, and I could check the the presence of the ghost left on the shell by the dust and mud that passed through the cover, this confirms that the cover is the original one.
    I do not know if this configuration was used at home or in some particular operational theater, but maybe some of you can help me on this topic.

Thanks for looking.

Regards
    Roberto

British Parachute helmetBritish Parachute helmetBritish Parachute helmetBritish Parachute helmetBritish Parachute helmetBritish Parachute helmetBritish Parachute helmetBritish Parachute helmetBritish Parachute helmetBritish Parachute helmet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast