Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Composite helmets and Ades book

Article about: I hope nobody minds me posting this here, but the other day, 'Composite' AKA Adrian Blake, sent me a copy of his new book. Anyone not familiar with it by now should take a close look at Ade'

Default Composite helmets and Ades book

I hope nobody minds me posting this here, but the other day, 'Composite' AKA Adrian Blake, sent me a copy of his new book. Anyone not familiar with it by now should take a close look at Ade's Avatar to view the cover. All I can say is that it is an absolutely stunning book, the length of detail that Ade and his son George have gone into is unbelievable. If you collect 'Composite' helmets, or you want to know the history of them, then this is a book you should have in your library. It has to be the reference book on the subject. Ade funded this with his own money, and he deserves every success with it. It isn't exactly cheap, but the really good books never are. Click on images (twice) to enlarge.

Cheers,
    Steve

Composite helmets and Ades bookComposite helmets and Ades bookComposite helmets and Ades bookComposite helmets and Ades bookComposite helmets and Ades bookComposite helmets and Ades book

?

This is probably now my favourite book on my shelf!
    its also a great book for people like me who Were lacking in knowledge of the helmet type as the book takes the time to explain the hardware variations and the organisation of the Services that used these helmets!

not actually about composite helmets, it is home front helmets.

it is a great book, glad to have it in my library
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    not actually about composite helmets, it is home front helmets.

it is a great book, glad to have it in my library
    Pardon my ignorance Jerry, and I stand corrected. But there is no escaping the fact that it is a damded fine reference book about Home Front helmets.

Cheers,
    Steve

No worries Steve, it is a great book.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    No worries Steve, it is a great book.
    Ade should put it up for sale in the classified section. Will keep it up front and center
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Before I go any further, Adrian's book is absolutely NOT about composite helmets. Everyone clear on that? Good.

Anyway, I am *impressed*. Nice classic A4-ish size, easy to hold and leaf through (unlike some other helmet books issued in a perverse over-size 'coffee-table' format which is Difficult in many senses) and all the images are clear and the text is highly readable in every sense. General aspect is *very* attractive, Good clear layout, text wrapped neatly around illos (unlike for example some other books that appear to be laid out by an undertaker). I'd buy this right away if I saw it at a Militaria fair. It is expensive, but no more so than any other self-published work of the same type and quality. remember, Adrian alone has to bear the complete cost of production with no economy of scale.

I have virtually no collecting interest in Home Front helmets specifically and from my position of total ignorance it seems to be telling me everything I might need to know. I did note the intro about the possible/probable faults, errors and omissions, and imperfect coverage, but this might be the first go round and its an excellent start. On the other hand it wouldn't be hard to argue that for anyone other than absolute fanatics (or is that 'Advanced Collectors'?) this is The book, the one and only.

I was particularly drawn to the sections on the Civilian Protective Helmet (the 'Zuckerman' to non-fans) which I do collect and know a bit about, and I was most pleased to find LOTS of new info there. Super! Worth it for that alone. The other 'Variant' helmets section is also comprehensive and as detailed as possible given that some of these odd objects are very hard to research. Very good.

I'd normally complain at the lack of an index (I complain about that with every book, even fiction - especially fiction...) but the Table of Contents is nicely detailed so not a real problem.

Anyway, I am genuinely impressed. I'd recommend this to any helmet enthusiast even if they weren't HF fans. It's just a really good example of a good helmet book and even leaving aside the HF aspect I'd be surprised if any collector didn't find it interesting, entertaining, and informative. I did try to find something wrong with it, but other than a bit of an issue with section headings and on p132 a reference to a 'Southern Rail' helmet (it is Southern Railway that was the name of the post-grouping company) I found nothing. Then again real Home-Fronters may have other views.

There is also a rather contentious section concerning some Dutch-bend rimmed helmets which might well be very arguable but that is a very small part of a substantial book.

Anyway, it is all very interesting. I am genuinely astounded at the number and variety of different markings (and therefore the vast complexity of the whole system). It makes me wonder how this worked in other countries. Germany obviously is another European country that had to cope with a severe and sustained bombing campaign - but I don't immediately know of any similiar array of markings. I realise its massive ignorance talking but for me it seems like Luftschutz and TENO and that's about it. That can't be right. Then there's France, which was heavily bombed (mostly by the RAF and USAAF it has to be said) so they must have had a substantial ARP organisation. And then everyone else from Norway to Romania. I haven't tried doing the obvious research yet (mainly because I am so devoid of facts I don't know where to start...) so does anyone here have any pointers?

Anyway, get HELMETS OF THE HOME FRONT - before it sells out! Not many left...

Looks well worth a read.