Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Composites & Kevlar helmet NVG accessories wear question.

Article about: Hey all! I have been inspecting my composite/kevlar helmets closely over the last couple of days. Mainly US & UK lids, Most have accessories, NVG mounts, Straps etc. Now I am fully aware

?

Default Composites & Kevlar helmet NVG accessories wear question.

Hey all! I have been inspecting my composite/kevlar helmets closely over the last couple of days. Mainly US & UK lids, Most have accessories, NVG mounts, Straps etc. Now I am fully aware I may be being a tad bit obsessive here lol but I have noticed mainly with the NVG mounts on my US lids they seem to dig into the shell and or through the cover. Leaving marks, I don't want to start stripping my helmets apart to examine the shells etc but, Its just bothering me a bit! Now common sense is shouting at me, This must just be the normal kind of wear for this kit as the pieces are all fitted as should be. But then there is a little voice inside screaming, You could be to an extent ruining your lovely kevlar lids lol. I know we have many composite/kevlar enthusiasts like myself on here and was just wondering if any of you have seen the same sort of thing and if so is the norm with these modern helmets. Many thanks in advance! Cheers, Sean.

I think its probably worth remembering that these things are tools to be used and not 'collectables' in the commercial sense. I wouldn't worry if I were you. At the death its all just old ex-army surplus, don't get too precious about it.

?

Yeah good point Greg, I was just not to sure whether I might be damaging them unnecessarily. Like I said common sense is telling me it must just be normal wear for these helmets but I can't help but obsess over them sometimes. Cheers, Sean.

Sean, as a fellow collector I actually do understand what you are getting at. After all, some of this stuff has cost us real money! And I certainly know that Interesting Compos are not cheap.

But you have to remember what the 'typical squaddie' - if any such actually exists - thinks about things. I would guess that to them making sure something, anything, from a helmet to a personal weapon is going to work first time every time is more important than its appearance, no matter how ally it might have looked back in barracks.

As a collector and not an actual user I don't so much bother about comparatively superficial almost 'field use' damage and distress - as long as the helmet actually has all its parts in good order and isn't actually falling apart thats fine by me. Also, unlike some, I am more than happy to get a completely new off the shelf unissed helmet - at least I know for certain its 'as designed' then. Its the actual storage of my collection I fret about - I dont have the room to store things in best conditions, or even to easily find anything. Its a pain.

?

Hi Greg! That's a very valid point, I do think sometimes I should try and enjoy my items more instead of worrying about damage or storage but like you agree it can be easier said than done when some of even the modern day compos are so expensive and then to add to that I tend to buy the vast majority of mine in mint unissued or as close to condition as well which probably only adds to the obsessing because then I don't want to add any damage myself but preserve. That said I have no problem with used & salty kit, In fact years ago I preferred it but I got the bug and once I had a few minty pieces I liked having multiple minty pieces lol but yeah, I know what you mean buddy Cheers, Sean.

?

Interesting point raised Sean, perhaps if you put a thin piece of rubber ( or card ?) under the mounting ,it would avoid the indentation being created ?

?

I thought about doing that Opex, Good point! After thinking some more about it the other day I decided to just leave them as they are, Surely it would be natural wear plus as long as I own them I never plan on pulling them apart so what I can't see shouldn't bother me I think lol. Plus after posting this thread I got looking at a lot more composite lids online, Mostly US and any that have been combat used with equipment and the vast majority do have noticeable marks etc to the shell. I think my friend it is a simple case of me needing to get out more and not worrying about such trivial things haha. Cheers, Sean.

?

Quote by seandm View Post
    I thought about doing that Opex, Good point! After thinking some more about it the other day I decided to just leave them as they are, Surely it would be natural wear plus as long as I own them I never plan on pulling them apart so what I can't see shouldn't bother me I think lol. Plus after posting this thread I got looking at a lot more composite lids online, Mostly US and any that have been combat used with equipment and the vast majority do have noticeable marks etc to the shell. I think my friend it is a simple case of me needing to get out more and not worrying about such trivial things haha. Cheers, Sean.
    No worries Buddy, and that is the trouble with collecting these things, it get's under your skin and you end up spending too much time about what look's right or not as the case may be..or is that just me ?... Oh dear,I think I too need to get out more as well LOL

?

Did someone call for me?

Nice to see that someone collects newer helmets around here, they aren't collectibles straight out, but can be valued and interesting of course.