Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Early Production British GS Mk6 Helmet & Nape Protector.

Article about: Hi guys. I have dug out this shiny fellow after seeing James' thread on his Mk6. I might get into collecting these in earnest now as I regularly see them and there are enough variations and

Hi Nuno. Later ones were made out of ballistic nylon, this one might be something else though it feels different. Not kevlar anyway.

This was taken at the Bridge, Drumcree church. Shows visors and napes in use.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Production British GS Mk6 Helmet & Nape Protector.  

?

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    Depending on who you accept, the intro dates for the Mk6 might be - 1982 (CASQUES DE COMBAT, article by Marcus Cotton), 1982 (Joseba Revuelda, website), 1982 (World War Helmets website), 1984 (Marzetti, ELMETTI), "...from 1986" (Wikipedia), 1987 (Martin Brayley, TIN HATS TO COMPOSITE HELMETS).
    To throw a bit more confusion, (T Carter TIN HATFOR TOMMY) states 1983 as the introduction date, and also states that the issue proceeded slowly and was not complete until 1995. I don;t believe I have seen any pictures of these in use in the Falklands conflict.

?

Very,very nice early variant , I have an early-ish smooth finish, but this one looks much earlier, I would be very proud to have this one in my own personal collection!

Thanks Opex. I think I have another somewhere with the same finish, but this one has the brown crown webbing and thinner chinstrap which makes me think it's earlier.

andy ,i had a sneaking suspicion one of my mk6's was the smooth finish variation type so i whipped off the cover to check ,to be fair it looks in pretty good shape almost new , perhaps the covers have protected it well ,also there is a label present on the inside which has 1986 with the 6 crossed out and a 7 added in biro ,if you dont mind id like to show youEarly Production British GS Mk6 Helmet & Nape Protector.Early Production British GS Mk6 Helmet & Nape Protector.Early Production British GS Mk6 Helmet & Nape Protector.

Great condition that one mate, a bit nicer than mine. I wish this one had a date, the other smooth one I have is dated 1985 I think. I'll have to check and get some pics.

?

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    To throw a bit more confusion, (T Carter TIN HATFOR TOMMY) states 1983 as the introduction date, and also states that the issue proceeded slowly and was not complete until 1995. I don;t believe I have seen any pictures of these in use in the Falklands conflict.

Definately NOT in use during the Falklands War.
    The only helmets used in combat by the British forces during this conlict were the Para's helmet, the standard "turtle back" and the ballistic nylon armoured crew "bone dome".
    Some Royal Marines had the armoured troops version of the para lid

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

superb first hand info as always ian ,you cant beat it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2