Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

An emotional day! Australian CVC helmet

Article about: Being a transport driver in the army, I was well versed in the tactical use of trucks, camouflage, convoy disciplines and actions on.....also I was well versed in minor infantry tactics up t

?

Default An emotional day! Australian CVC helmet

Being a transport driver in the army, I was well versed in the tactical use of trucks, camouflage, convoy disciplines and actions on.....also I was well versed in minor infantry tactics up to company level, being able to lead patrols and conduct all roles within the section....cavalry tactics and the role of the crew commander, was not one of my skill sets...
    In 2005 I was thrust into the role as the supervisor...come crew commander in a bushmaster. IMV and sent to Iraq...we were using them as armoured transport, however due to me being up top behind a gun, the cavboys assumed I was well versed to the crewies role and expected such wonderful things from me, a steep learning curve on the job and many bollockings from Cav Sgts who didn't understand we were net crewies as they knew them occurred ..the bushie is not a crewed vehicle in your normal sense, and my role was really protection,oversight and control of the transport type stuff...anyway, I got to know the CVC well, I'd never used one.....I had mine personalised with my vehicle CS U55A and our sub unit marking.....I had to leave it behind and have always wanted another....well this week I was able to source one, I will mark it up as the one I had, and hopefully it will still be in the family for years to come....I need to find my ballistic goggles and face wrap to display with it....this reminds of good times, times where I was able to do really cool stuff, operate at a very high tempo and really do something different.
    Funny thing was, after 8 and a bit months in country, and being among the first to deploy with these vehicles on operation, we were all deemed non qualified to operate the vehicle in Australia due to the mission specific training we had on them
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An emotional day! Australian CVC helmet  

?

Here's a pic of me wearing one in country
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An emotional day! Australian CVC helmet  

?

Congratulations on finding one! I'm sure it will prove to be a treasured and very personal family heirloom.

?

Very nice find . Gary

Nice helmet. Great when you find a piece that you
    can get emotionally attached to.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Nice helmet. Great when you find a piece that you
    can get emotionally attached to.........!
    Not wrong there !

?

Thanks all, I pulled it on, and I found it funny how my hands went straight back to adjusting the lid and the mike, and feeling for the press to talk switch

?

It's not the same as having the actual lid I used, had to leave that behind for the relieving rotation, bits it's the closest I'll get

still nice that you where able to find a helmet, that you can keep now. looks good well done.

- - ------- - -

still nice that you where able to find a helmet, that you can keep now. looks good well done.

Ah!, the army-'Be prepared to be flexible...'. Congrats on the helmet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast