Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"

Article about: I recently revisited a list we created on Gregs old Yahoo forum...this was a list of all the things which are / can be attached to the modern combat helmet ranging from patches to cameras. I

Quote by Composite View Post
    That’s interesting H......I guess that leaves the question who DID have “NI Helmet”...or was it just a timing issue......
    It was probably down to the situation we found ourselves in. Between November 1971 and March 1972, Andersonstown was not a very pleasant place to be. It was bad enough before the terrible events of 'Bloody Sunday' on January 30th 1972, but after that date it was infinitely worst. Riots were happening every day, and our experiences early in the tour quickly taught us how useless (for us) the Turtle helmet & visor was. If you ran with the visor up it would sooner or later bounce shut and tip the helmet forward. And if you ran with it down it had a habit of sinking into the top of your flak jacket and your breath would steam it up. Besides that, when you were getting 'stuck-in' to the rioters the last thing you wanted was someone getting behind you and grabbing the front of your helmet and pulling your head back. Soldiers only used equipment that was of use to them.

It didn't take long before "attachments" started to appear on the Virtus........I thought when it was launched that the side brackets and the NVG mount would make additional covers tricky.....but no....now there's the usual array of nets, scrim scarf etc ....the official new style cover even goes over the brow bracket...that didn't last long did it.....

...and sticking with the N.I. theme, whilst not technically an "attachment" (it came that way) here's a 1984 Brit visored "Topper" (will someone PLEASE tell me why "Topper")....technically it's an A.R.T. (Anti Riot Topper). Cromwell-made with quite agricultural looking visor attachment (date '87), with European AND "proper" head size measurements to outside. It doesn't look like it was ever on the receiving end of a brick or petrol bomb.....or a squaddie either!

This was one on my W&P Show pick-ups......cheap too

Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"

Much after my time this kind of helmet.

Phew, it's hard keeping up with the tsunami of new stuff being added.....

Here's a strap-on from the past.......training detector. MILES-type kit which picks up "beams" from guns fitted with kit which it too technical for us lot to understand....they hit the sensors and indicate / record the hit.....a bit like LazerQuest.......

Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"

?

An interesting and not often seen bit of kit Adrian I have seen a US and chinese variation of the Miles training detector posted in a couple of different groups recently..

Regards Mark

The US version....MILES

Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"

?

Cheers Adrian that is the one..

Regards Mark..

Here's one which is a bit closer to home Mark.

Canadian version is built into a helmet cover, much like the US ones which come with rails and mounts sewn-in. The last pic shows it from the inside...quite a piece of work......'damned clever those Canucks!

Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"

?

So these helmet covers basically allow soldiers to play serious games of laser tag?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast