Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Indonesian M80 Helmet

Article about: I got this from my friend who also a collector and journalist. The soldier put it backward? No rear nape. Field modification? Soldier number and name. "Agus" with number 526250. My

Ah i see. Thank you for the info.

Lightbulb New M80, Double Strap Version Interesting One

Just like i said in this thread, here's my new M80. The black sweat band, double strap version, green single strap, with buckle
    Indonesian M80 Helmet
    Indonesian M80 Helmet
    Indonesian M80 Helmet
    Indonesian M80 Helmet
    Indonesian M80 Helmet
    Indonesian M80 Helmet
    Indonesian M80 Helmet
    Indonesian M80 Helmet
    Number 057, maybe the soldier's number

Indonesian M80 Helmet
    It once have double chinstrap with possibly rear nape too. But it's really interesting the strap was gone first compared with the main strap. Maybe it's discarded during the service?

Indonesian M80 Helmet
    Indonesian M80 Helmet
    Indonesian M80 Helmet
    Indonesian M80 Helmet
    The detail of the loop for the strap

Indonesian M80 Helmet
    Indonesian M80 Helmet
    Indonesian M80 Helmet
    Inside the sweatband there's some kind of rubber cork padding

Indonesian M80 Helmet
    Indonesian M80 Helmet
    Indonesian M80 Helmet
    Indonesian M80 Helmet
    Indonesian M80 Helmet
    And this is why i buy the helmet on the first place. Different and new kind of buckle. Inspired from the WW2 M1 US buckle?

Indonesian M80 Helmet
    Resting now with my other composite helmets

Indonesian M80 Helmet
    I also found a photograph example of the double strap M80 used by the TNI especially for the military school cadet. And its interesting, the helmet used in there is single strap. I guess the other strap is discarded as well?

And that one is exactly the same as mine which I showed before..very nice!!
    Seems my South Korean export is Indonesian.

very nice and very interesting m80 feldgrau i like the overall issued look of this one and find the liner arrangement and its field use modifications facinating and your photography skills are second to none i agree the buckle seems to be inspired from the american two part m1 t1 buckle and have to admit its a new one on me ,superb helmet line up too and a pleasure to view keep up the great work sharing these unusual examples with us all here thanks james

I actually like the design of the South Korean Export M80, it's also lighter and more comfortable for use in a tropical or desert environment than a heavy steel helmet

a combat soldier could move faster and get less fatigued wearing a strong lightweight helmet like the M80 , better for mobility

also remember this design predates the improved PASGT type helmets worn today, the M80 is more of an outdated / obsolete composite helmet.

the South Koreans were using the same helmet known as the South Korean M76, thats almost 40 years ago! comparing it with todays modern Kevlar helmets makes the M80 look inferior but remember how old the design is dating from 1976, so it was a pretty good idea for the times.
    Last edited by battle gear; 03-23-2015 at 06:45 PM.

Quote by magicdutchmen View Post
    And that one is exactly the same as mine which I showed before..very nice!!
    Seems my South Korean export is Indonesian.
    I see and i always thinking, could it be with so many modifications appeared, is this helmet is a genuine south korean made? Or is it indonesian cloned? Many possibility exist in here.

Quote by James C View Post
    very nice and very interesting m80 feldgrau i like the overall issued look of this one and find the liner arrangement and its field use modifications facinating and your photography skills are second to none i agree the buckle seems to be inspired from the american two part m1 t1 buckle and have to admit its a new one on me ,superb helmet line up too and a pleasure to view keep up the great work sharing these unusual examples with us all here thanks james
    Thank you sir.
    Indeed, so thats why i buy this so i can share it in here. In my opinion, the duty of a collector like us is beside preserving the item we got is to share it, so we can get it's knowledge.
    btw i also found an interesting indonesian field modification M1 helmet. Maybe the only one exist. I'll post it when i buy it, i hope is still in there though.

Quote by battle gear View Post
    I actually like the design of the South Korean Export M80, it's also lighter and more comfortable for use in a tropical or desert environment than a heavy steel helmet

a combat soldier could move faster and get less fatigued wearing a strong lightweight helmet like the M80 , better for mobility

also remember this design predates the improved PASGT type helmets worn today, the M80 is more of an outdated / obsolete composite helmet.

the South Koreans were using the same helmet known as the South Korean M76, thats almost 40 years ago! comparing it with todays modern Kevlar helmets makes the M80 look inferior but remember how old the design is dating from 1976, so it was a pretty good idea for the times.
    Ah i see. Thank you for the information sir.
    And is it just me or the M80s i got is always in small size, i cant wear it.

Quote by feldgrau33 View Post
    Ah i see. Thank you for the information sir.
    And is it just me or the M80s i got is always in small size, i cant wear it.
    your correct, the M80 is also too small for my head, any Iraqi helmet I try on is usually too small? maybe thats why the lining is often missing, because it doesnt fit all head sizes well, so they wear a knit cap to replace the webbing

in my opinion they should make all helmets a little over-size so it will fit everybody easily, I usually wear a size 61 in euro size or US size 7 5/8

I think europeans have a narrow head shape, thats why they wear such small helmet sizes most of the time

Default The answer?

I bet anyone who follow Indonesian kevlar helmet especially the M80 is still very curious about those extra 2 rivets right? Well gents, here's some answer
    Indonesian M80 HelmetIndonesian M80 Helmet

Indonesian M80 HelmetIndonesian M80 Helmet
    As you can see, it's the second chinstrap in buckle type. This is for the first time i see this

Too bad the helmet price is too expensive. For the same price i rather buy a dutch M1825 medal instead

i bet you are very tempted to buy this one feldgrau ,it looks very similar with the additional A yokes to the american m1c para ,thanks for showing and explaining those mystery rivits
    regards, james

That's amazing! By extraordinary coincidence I recently got one of those 'M80' (this cannot be the right designation) with the double set of chinstraps like Feldgrau has just shown us; I got it just four days ago at the Brecon militaria fair. The only significant difference is that it has a factory-finish camouflage paintwork, otherise it is identical. It was being sold as 'Iraqi Gulf War' but of course *we* know different, don't we. I'll send up some pictures as soon as I have the time (things are a bit out of control here at the moment!)

At the very least I now feel confident that my initial belief it might be Indonesian is correct. Anyway, some pics will follow RSN (I hope). For the time being, compare and contrast with the object titled SOUTH KOREAN EXPORT HELMET ? on this page Composite Helmet, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets KOREA, SOUTH KOREAN HELMET helmet, Kevlar helmet and the one titled INDONESIAN ? Sold as Indonesian... on this page Composite Helmet, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets INDONESIA, INDONESIAN helmet, Kevlar helmet composite helmets index

Good stuff Feldgrau!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast