Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

iraqi m80

Article about: here is another example from my collection ,its showing some damage here and there to the fibre ,im always fond of the uniqueness of the paintwork to each one ,underneath the tan paint are s

?

Quote by James C View Post
    i totally agree gary and i know your fondness for these too these tan overpainted ones seem thin on the ground these days, im sure you agree these do look great displayed especially en masse

Yes Mate, I will never tire of collecting these Helmets, each and everyone is so unique, and your right a few years ago there was a real glut of the Tan painted versions, in fact I remember in 2010 one of my favourite dealers had a few of these exact one's ( I bought one,and which I'd bought the lot!) and again your completely right they do indeed look great all displayed collectively which clearly demonstrates their individual features and unique qualities.

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    James:

Besides protecting someone from windblown sand, is the fiber material good for steel travelling at high velocities with jagged edges. (I'm joking a bit in my analogy but it's a serious query).

Thanks!

Michael
    Michael Sadly these models had no real ballistic properties at all, so apart from the psychological benefits of wearing a military helmet in battle, there was in reality no protection offered at all, therefore some horrific head injuries must have been sustained by the Iraqi troops.

But as James has showed us with the reference picture, Saddam looked pretty funky...what a leader of men he was !

?

id like to know what the removed horizontal strip of tan paint was across the front area it has the makings of an inverted triangle but not quite ,perhaps a unit marking of sorts ?
    Good point James, I had not noticed that before and I could only describe it as looking like a Galleon, either that or a set of diamond shapes overlapping each other, there may well be some significance to this symbolism, however as we know from experience there really is not all that much information out there concerning Iraqi markings, could be Graffiti carried out by the original owner...complete mystery but fascinating all the same

Nice setup James,seems a few countries copied the M9 series including Finland,those filters look massive against the facemask,nice one Bud............

Thanks for your thoughts again Gary i will put the feelers out and if i learn more about the marking i will let you know ,i did wonder if the white paint lines under the tan might be arabic script ? and thanks Jake ,yes your right the m9 was copied under licence by Finland ,from what I've seen they have a different valve cover for some reason
    Last edited by James C; 09-03-2020 at 05:49 PM.

?

thanks for your thoughts again gary i will put the feelers out and if i learn more about the marking i will let you know ,i did wonder if the white paint lines under the tan might be arabic script ? and thanks jake ,yes your right mate the m9 was copied under licence by finland ,from what ive seen they have a different valve cover for some reason
    No worries Mate, I would be keen to learn more information regarding the symbols

Iraqi M80 with hints of the original Tan desert paint scheme under the unique Dark colouration exterior coating and although devoid of a liner it does retain a makeshift chinstrap made of a section of nylon cord and fixed to the side via the nape strap mounts ,This example would highly likely be used by the Iraqi Al Quds (Jerusalem Army) or by one of the militias post 1991iraqi m80iraqi m80iraqi m80iraqi m80iraqi m80iraqi m80iraqi m80iraqi m80iraqi m80
    Regards James

.....thats some “structural integrity” damage!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2