Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Iraqi M80: H.H.D. sticker?

Article about: Hello! I'm new to the War Relics forum (hope you'll accept a Yankee from across the pond!) I'm curious about a helmet that was just given to me (yep, free!). It was from a Soldier who though

nazchapdwd
    ?

Default Iraqi M80: H.H.D. sticker?

Hello! I'm new to the War Relics forum (hope you'll accept a Yankee from across the pond!) I'm curious about a helmet that was just given to me (yep, free!). It was from a Soldier who thought it was a WW2 M1. He found it in a warehouse in Baghdad where there were hundreds (thousands?) of them. I wondered about his story before seeing it, then when I saw it I could tell right away it wasn't a WW2 M1 but wasn't sure if it was meant to be a knock-off to sell to unsuspecting Soldier-tourists or what. As I researched it, I've concluded with certainty that it's an Iraqi M80. All of the rivets and webbing are accurate though it doesn't have an Iraqi military property stamp and appears to be un-issued but is a bit scuffed on the top. It also has a number "24" in reverse on the top, inside but there's no hint of it on the outside (curious about that number, too).

The big question I have for you guys is the sticker that is on the inside. I've browsed the forum and the internet and can't find anything on it. It's a small, square white sticker with the letters "H.H.D." below a triangle that has two symbols, one perhaps an Arabic letter or number. Does anyone know what this is or means?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. I haven't jumped in much to collecting war relics, I'm mainly into chaplain militaria, but having been deployed to Iraq, I find this helmet of interest.
    Iraqi M80: H.H.D. sticker?Iraqi M80: H.H.D. sticker?Iraqi M80: H.H.D. sticker?Iraqi M80: H.H.D. sticker?
    Last edited by nazchapdwd; 08-09-2014 at 05:40 PM.

?

Hi and welcome, and great to see another fantastic example of the M-80.

I have seen a few other examples with the HHD sticker though to be honest I have no idea what it stands for, whereas I can confirm the triangle with the Arabic script is the Iraqi Army property Mark, which is normally stamped onto the webbing cradle and a common marking on M-80 helmets.

Thanks for sharing your fine example and I hope someone else here can shed some light on the HHD meaning

nazchapdwd
    ?

I did just came across a mention of this sticker on an M80 on Ebay so asked the seller about it. He said the "H.H.D." is the company who made the helmet, though he doesn't seem know who that company is, what the H.H.D. stands for. Perhaps with this intel, someone here can identify the company that has the initials "H.H.D."?
    Last edited by nazchapdwd; 08-09-2014 at 05:42 PM.

?

Quote by nazchapdwd View Post
    I did just come across a mention of this sticker on an M80 on Ebay so asked the seller about it. He said the "H.H.D." is the company who made the helmet, though he doesn't seem know who that company is, what the H.H.D. stands for. Perhaps with this intel, someone here can identify the company that has the initials "H.H.D."?
    There lies the problem buddy, but I did find an example of an Iraqi groundsheet with the Triangle /HHD stamped on it, so clearly it's not just Helmets,but I am still none the wiser as to the meaning of HHD

hello nazchapdwd and welcome to the forum ,from what little i know H.H.D is evidence that the piece is Iraq Ministry of Defence issue ,these date back to the saddam era but can also be found on later equiptment too and i believe the hardest of items to find so hold onto itkind regards james
    Last edited by James C; 03-06-2015 at 08:53 PM.

I heard the H.H.D marking was the South Korean maker mark