Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M-80 Iraqi helmet???

Article about: Picked up this helmet today at a militaria fair. It appears to be in its original factory green finish as the other M-80 I own has two different layers of desert sand camo over the green pai

Default M-80 Iraqi helmet???

Picked up this helmet today at a militaria fair. It appears to be in its original factory green finish as the other M-80 I own has two different layers of desert sand camo over the green paint. Looking at the other threads the triangular mark seems to make these Iraqi made. My two don't have this mark so I will have to do a bit of research tonight on it. It has a back to front number 29 embossed in the crown of the helmet. There does appear to be some Arabic writing on the sweatband so if anyone can translate it I would be grateful. Thanks for looking guys
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M-80 Iraqi helmet???   M-80 Iraqi helmet???  

M-80 Iraqi helmet???   M-80 Iraqi helmet???  

M-80 Iraqi helmet???  

Looks like a good Iraqi used helmet to me,there were lots of these left on the battlefields in green and Tan painted

Nice complete example Ian and thanks for sharing

a very very unusual example.....in that the outer crown seems to be in great condition and there's no "tide marks" inside and crispy shrunken liner....this one wasn't lying "belly-up" outside like everyone elses! ...AND there's a strap too!

'nice example

I'm only use to seeing them with a desert tan colour but all worn away at the top exposing the green layer of paint. It's in extremely good condition for a helmet that's nearly 40 years old

Ian i wonder if the Nape strap is US in origin ,i have a couple of complete m80's with nape straps amongst other ersatz items used and these are a light tan where as yours looks OD green compared to the liner webbing colouration perhaps this due to the great condition of the helmet overall and this is how they are meant to be box fresh

Quote by James C View Post
    Ian i wonder if the Nape strap is US in origin ,i have a couple of complete m80's with nape straps amongst other ersatz items used and these are a light tan where as yours looks OD green compared to the liner webbing colouration perhaps this due to the great condition of the helmet overall and this is how they are meant to be box fresh
    I've just been looking at a few reference websites and you are right James the nape should be a more lighter tan colour. The South Korean M76 have the darker green nape from what I can tell from the pictures from these sites. Is this one of the original composite models imported to Iraq by South Korea before Iraq started manufacturing their own and this may explain the lack of Iraqi manufacturing marks.