Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Mid 1980's General service helmet

Article about: Just to share a British helmet that's been on my wants list for a wee while allthough in very salty condition but i do like them salty ,this is a fairly early example dated like Jerry's exam

Thanks again Mark for your appraisal on the helmet and the background on its history too and i like your knowledge on filling in the blanks as it were and the thought a visor was fitted never crossed my mind untill you pointed it out and i agree the removal of the horns seems a bad idea as the taper part as far as i'm aware is the most important part of the liner retention .the fitting of visors seems to be a theme on the helmets i have picked up over time some dliberate some not with them either having the visor brackets still in place or evidence of there fitment ,i recently looked over an ex parachutist lightweight that i have had for some time and decided to put back some originality to its former use in its ground troops configuration of which during it's conversion had the airborne chinstrap swapped out for the gs mk6 assembly it had also had crudely drilled holes either side which matched the mounts perfectly Mid 1980's General service helmetMid 1980's General service helmet
    Also going back to the original discussion regarding the application of paint and crewman helmets here is my later post 2010 example which i am not to sure its official designation but was assigned to a Warthog Combat Vehicle and most likely seen use in afghanistan Mid 1980's General service helmet
    Last edited by James C; 12-13-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Is that a Rapier crew lid?

Quote by Composite View Post
    Is that a Rapier crew lid?
    Possibly the same item used in both applications, must admit I am not sure but the application requirements are very similar in tracked Rapier, Warthog and MLRS for that matter.

The Warthog was the articulated tracked troop carrier similar to the BvS Viking which it replaced in Afghanistan.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Visited a local surplus store on Thursday and found a PLCE respirator haversack showing a nicely dated label with IRR suffix and guess this must stand stand for infrared reflective ? also rooting through my storage found and added the Scott goggles to the ongoing display Mid 1980's General service helmetMid 1980's General service helmetMid 1980's General service helmet

We were talking (somewhere!) re how the Mk6 was uncomfortable to wear....low and behold my latest addition comes with "padding" as discussed. It's obviously been in there a while. The shell is a non-refurbed smooth'n'shiny dated '86......and yes, it works!

Mid 1980's General service helmetMid 1980's General service helmet

A nice DPM cover which has had the vertical elastic removed to make it look special........

Nice addition Ade and thanks for posting the detailed pictures showing the ad hoc comfort padding too

We were talking (somewhere!) re how the Mk6 was uncomfortable to wear....low and behold my latest addition comes with "padding" as discussed. It's obviously been in there a while. The shell is a non-refurbed smooth'n'shiny dated '86......and yes, it works!

A nice DPM cover which has had the vertical elastic removed to make it look special........
    Yep the old First Field Dressing was ideally suited and an obvious choice as they were so readily available. Don't know if I mentioned it before when we were discussing the removal of the vertical elastics to give a certain appearance but another more common reason for removing the elastic is that it would stretch, go baggy making it useless and look most "un-soldier like" so it would be snipped off to make things "just so"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks Mark.....just noticed that the chin cup on my latest one is in fact not a "cup" as it has no middle section....I'll have to check the others to see how common this is/was

Thanks Mark.....just noticed that the chin cup on my latest one is in fact not a "cup" as it has no middle section....I'll have to check the others to see how common this is/was
    Check to see if the leather patch was removed as "Tom" is always ready to doctor something he finds uncomfortable especially if it is or its perceived as being "sweaty"

Hi Ade i have found the thread going back some time where i raised a similar question British Mk6 helmet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2