Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Mildew/mold damage

Article about: Recently I had an issue with mold and mildew attacking my collection. I've got varying degrees of damage to deal with, from only minor surface problems to completely ruined. On of the casual

Default Mildew/mold damage

Recently I had an issue with mold and mildew attacking my collection. I've got varying degrees of damage to deal with, from only minor surface problems to completely ruined. On of the casualties was the chinstrap on my old Mk VI. It was already partially damaged but the mold simply ate the chincup and the webbing is shot. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement harness?

Horrible incident. I fear this myself as I cannot keep my helmet collection in anything even approaching ideal - or even OK - conditions. Anyway, for a replacement chinstrap try Ebay for a start, there are usually some, or then again just a simple Google. Try 'mk6' instead of 'MkVI'. Here are a couple of outfits that I know have spares for this helmet (but not, unfortunately the fantastically scarce and very desirable rubber mushrooms) -

Mk 6 Combat Helmet Spare Parts, 4,99 €

Infantry MK6 Helmet Chinstrap

?

Mould is a horrid thing to deal with. Not sure where you live but I used to live on the beach in a sub tropical location and we had several mould outbreaks which ruined a lot of my stuff until I discovered clove oil. Using a mixture of clove oil and water (add a touch of lavender oil to get rid of the smell) you have to spray just about everything in your house (furniture/carpets/clothes) to kill the spores otherwise it'll keep coming back. The clove oil is cheap and can be bought from chemist/pharmacies. Its a pain to spray your entire house but considering the negative effects of mould on your health and collection its worth it.

Alex