Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

More French F1 Helmets.

Article about: Hi Guys. Thought you might like to see more of my F 1 Helmets. Feel free to comment, and thanks for looking. Opex. F1 with M-64 Jacket hood. Of the type used in Beirut F1 with Salade cover.

Am I the only one who thinks these are virtually identical to soviet ssh40 helmets? I've looked at a French and Czech helmet side by side before realising what the f1 was and it honestly just looks like a Russian variant.

Quote by angus1235 View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks these are virtually identical to soviet ssh40 helmets? I've looked at a French and Czech helmet side by side before realising what the f1 was and it honestly just looks like a Russian variant.
    I spend more time than is good for me trying to find similarities between helmets, and I have to say I have never seen anything that connects the F1 and the ssh40, or Hungarian M50, Czech vz53, Polish wz50... .

Obviously they are all 'ball' helmets (the original of that design being the Italian M33) so there's always going to be a generic similarity of shape (like with the Swedish M37) but there are enough specific differences to make the F1 stand away from the crowd. (NB the Czech vz53 and the Russian ssh40 are certainly not identical, either.)

I'm always keen to find similarities, but I think we're stretching it a bit on this one.

Quote by angus1235 View Post
    I agree with Greg P, the French F1 shows very little connection or similarity to the Russian M40 helmet

The F1 is very compact, only one size shell, the steel is very soft and dents easily, has a seam that goes around the brim, and has a completely different design liner system and chin straps

the compact design almost reminds me of a tankers or armored vehicle crew helmet in my opinion

Just as the title says More French F1  Helmets.
    Regards James

?

Hello All,
    I've got a number of F1s ( I bizarrely find them adictive)
    What I have noticed is that some covers will fit some helmets but not others.
    I was under the impression that there was only one size shell.
    Is there slight differences in manufacturers or between S1 and S2 shells?
    I noticed the difference in a 1979 dated Giat arr and an 87 dated Dunois . Both covers are NOS 2001 dated.
    Has anyone else noticed this?

Interesting question Bendy to which i am not sure ,i always presumed the F1 shell was manufactured a standard size but have noticed a few of the rubber rimmed covers in the Central European pattern i have seem a loose fit here and there when fitted, the loose F1 covers seems round and flat in design say compared to the Ballistic F2 covers which there is no mistake in fitment but perhaps without looking closer the F1 covers are slightly profiled to fit the shell so maybe not placing correctly over the shell results in some excess perhaps ,sorry i can't be of any more help
    Regards James

?

Thanks James,
    Here's my latest adition. I played the huge sum of 89p for it on French ebay ( the postage cost sort of undid the super bargain though)
    I've never seen this mix of desert cover,salad, door trim and tape before.
    Also a picture of my other 4 F1s.
    Two are 79 dated series 1s that are NOS and came in brown paper.
    There's just something about F1s that I like!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture More French F1  Helmets.   More French F1  Helmets.  

More French F1  Helmets.   More French F1  Helmets.  

Nice operation Daguet F1 Bendy and i have seen this type of combination used before for that time period back in the early 90's ,Great group Display of F1's too
    Regards James

Nice - these lids used to be one of the hardest to acquire...and then, some years ago, they were at War and Peace (in brown paper) for single figures....you HAVE to buy one when you see them like that. 's'funny because ALL the French lids are like that....the Felin is now the same....do they simply hang onto all stock for years and years???

?

When I lived in France I used to see piles of them at Brocantes - they couldn't give them away, I was more into the first world war at the time and you could pick up a decent relic condition m16 or brodie for 5 euros.
    Happy days!!!!!
    The F1s just sort of turned up one day on mass, so I guess the French government must have sold a huge amount off in one go

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast