Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Refitted British Mk 6a ?

Article about: A rather interesting British Mk 6a with a Mk 7 liner and chinstrap installed that I stumbled on some time ago and I am afraid I cant bring much to the party as it were in the form of knowled

?

Default Refitted British Mk 6a ?

A rather interesting British Mk 6a with a Mk 7 liner and chinstrap installed that I stumbled on some time ago and I am afraid I cant bring much to the party as it were in the form of knowledge gents as I cant seem to find much information on them on the world wide web so it is not clear to me at least when or why these helmets were fitted with the Mk 7 liner and chinstrap system but I do know of at least three other examples in private collections so this does suggests at the least not a 1 off as it were...
    It has been suggested by a friend and fellow collector that perhaps they were a trials helmet and the manufacturer needed a model to try out the new Mk-7 harness and chinstrap system before going into the final production stage...

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Refitted British Mk 6a ?   Refitted British Mk 6a ?  

Refitted British Mk 6a ?   Refitted British Mk 6a ?  

Refitted British Mk 6a ?  

Interesting...under all that gubbins does it have the two rubber darts holding the liner in place....I guess this assumes Mk6a and Mk7 dart/hole alignment.....

?

Good question Ade as I am away from the PC can't down load any images.. With that said though I can indeed confirm that the rubber darts for the lack of a better term that are used to attach the rear of the liner/suspension to the helmet body are indeed intact...

Kind regards Mark K

That IS interesting...as our very own Mr Pickersgill is an expert in these darts and the problem one has without the correct kit when trying to refit them. From this info and the fact that you’re aware of others it may be fair to assume that it wasn’t done by a Squaddie with a pen knife.

?

Quote by Composite View Post
    That IS interesting...as our very own Mr Pickersgill is an expert in these darts and the problem one has without the correct kit when trying to refit them. From this info and the fact that you’re aware of others it may be fair to assume that it wasn’t done by a Squaddie with a pen knife.
    Adrian I just realized I never updated this thread with any new pictures so a couple more pics showing the rubber darts inplace and chin strap fastening point on the side of the helmet..

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Refitted British Mk 6a ?   Refitted British Mk 6a ?  

It’s an interesting theory......but I’m not sure that 3-4 make something “official”......I hope I’m wrong.

We’ve seen a number of LW Para liner’s in Mk6s and Mk6As but that wasn’t official

The Mk7 strap is a 5-point harness....so that means that the rear pair of holes have been added to the 6A to take the straps right....

A real mystery.....and I’m glad you remembered...I was gonna give you 5 more months! :-)

Hi Mark it’s an interesting helmet and like so much modified equipment there is never little info about them. Here is my Mk6A with refitted Mk7 liner in used condition for comparison

Mk6 enhanced? I've got mine in the attic.

?

Cheers Ian nice to see another example and would love to see yours as well vegetius added to the thread in the future...
    And adrian 5 or 6 is a long way from official but it does at least lend a little more credence to the fact that these were re-fitted with a purpose in mind in my opinion..
    I do recall Greg's battle and frustration with the dart placement and without the proper kit it was a monumental task that would have been paramount to impossible with a pen knife..

Regards Mark

So why do we think this has happened?.....the harness is a 5 point as apposed to 3 so I guess there’s better stability?...but the liner itself is pretty much the same isn’t it???

I always assumed that the old Para-liner-in-Mk6 thing was either by Paras who wanted to remain “Ally” OR by folk who felt those liners were more comfortable ...but a Mk7 for a Mk6A????

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast