Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Refitted British Mk 6a ?

Article about: A rather interesting British Mk 6a with a Mk 7 liner and chinstrap installed that I stumbled on some time ago and I am afraid I cant bring much to the party as it were in the form of knowled

?

Great question Adrian that I can still find no sensible answer for and can only speculate on I wonder if Mark ( Watchdog ) has run across any of these refitted helmets in the past...
    Just had a look at whom has read the thread and noticed Mark and Greg have both seen it but have not commented so can only assume that neither has anything relevant that they can add for information..

Regards Mark

Hi all,
    I can explain exactly why it happened. When I say "I have mine in the attic" it is the one I was issued for a tour in Iraq. The Mk6 enhanced was brought out to provide extra protection along with Osprey body armour. It was a stop gap while the new kit was still under development as I understand it. It was a very heavy helmet but provides good protection but did wear thin after 6 months of wearing it!

There may be some confusion here.....we have evidence (photos) of Mk6As with Mk7 straps and liners. And there's talk of "enhanced" Mk6.....is that a green Mk6 with a Mk7 liner and 5-point harness too?

But why do it?...especially with a heavier less popular helmet??? perhaps it's an availability thing....one couldn't get a 7 so sexed-up a 6 or 6A with parts thereof??? I know that 6 and 6A were still used by some whilst others were Vitus'd-up.....would folk have wanted to look retro??

To be clear, I'm not questioning the existence...i just don't get it...perhaps I'm missing an "Ally" or Gucci thing...... but I doubt very much if a 6A was ever considered cool (unless everyone else had 5s!)

Certainly not "Ally". Vertus was under development and this was a 'stop them whining' stop gap as I understand it. It was a bit like the heavy Osprey that was issued at the same time. The armour was replaced by the current version that is about 100 times better and half the weight! The problem with Vertus is that it is a short helmet and I've seen the results from a round that a Mk6 enhanced would have stopped but went under the Vertus! Very unlucky for the poor sod wearing it.

Mine is black in colour and has the same harness. However I wear the stuff not pay attention to it's pedigree so claim no expertise on the subject.

Thank you...that removes the 6 from the discussion...so we are still talking about 6As with 7's bits on. Can you recall when this was all happening?

Perfectly, June 2007 until Feb 2008.

Quote by Composite View Post
    So why do we think this has happened?.....the harness is a 5 point as apposed to 3 so I guess there’s better stability?...but the liner itself is pretty much the same isn’t it???

I always assumed that the old Para-liner-in-Mk6 thing was either by Paras who wanted to remain “Ally” OR by folk who felt those liners were more comfortable ...but a Mk7 for a Mk6A????
    For me it wasn't the 'ally' part at all, I replaced mine with a para liner purely for comfort. If I recall it was easily done!
    "Per Ardua"

At least it's not an EOD helmet. Now that's really heavy and uncomfortable!

OK, today I have been doing a bit of compare and contrast. While it is quite obvious that the two Mk6A shells posted by MarkK and Redstalker have the straps of the Mk7 with a five-point attachment, I am confused as to what people mean when they say the *liner* has been swapped. Comparing Mk6A and Mk7 liners here I am seeing no difference whatsoever and no benefit would be gained by swapping one for the other (could anyone tell?) Now maybe I am missing some essential detail? Information please!

?

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    OK, today I have been doing a bit of compare and contrast. While it is quite obvious that the two Mk6A shells posted by MarkK and Redstalker have the straps of the Mk7 with a five-point attachment, I am confused as to what people mean when they say the *liner* has been swapped. Comparing Mk6A and Mk7 liners here I am seeing no difference whatsoever and no benefit would be gained by swapping one for the other (could anyone tell?) Now maybe I am missing some essential detail? Information please!
    Morning Greg I have just had time to pull some helmets down for a better look in essence you are correct possibly in retrospect I should have phrased it a bit different used the word upgraded they are for the most part the same as to the benefits of swapping one for the other the only thing that comes to mind is the slight difference in construction does it warrant a better fit to the wearers head..
    There are only two notable difference that I can see in the the standard Mk 6a liner in my collection when compared to the refitted Mk 6a and Mk 7 and that is the construction of the brow pad and the rear pad assemblies but even this does not appear to be standard which I will show when comparing my two Mk 7 helmets side by side down below..

Mk 6a as can be seen in the image for the most part the the brow pad and rear pad are foam filled leather covered assemblies with the exception of one sewn divided line at the center of the front pad this I can only assume would be done to help follow the contour of the liner assembly for a better fit to the wearers head and to stop the foam from displacing and moving in the pad assembly...
    Refitted British Mk 6a ?

Refitted Mk 6a the brow pad in this particular helmet is a we bit different with the addition of five sewn lines through the pad assembly dividing the brow pad into seven individual pockets again I can only assume this would be for better stabilization of the foam material on the inside of the pad assembly and to help with following the contour of the liner..
    the rear assembly as well has seen the addition of three partial sewn lines in the bottom of the pad...
    Refitted British Mk 6a ?

Two of my Mk 7 helmets for comparison the first examples liner is for the most part identical to my original Mk 6a above which only shows the one sewn division in the front brow pad assembly..
    Refitted British Mk 6a ?

The second example shows the multiple sewn in divided lines on the front and rear pad assemblies as seen in my refitted Mk 6A..
    Refitted British Mk 6a ?

Regards Mark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast