Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Troop Trials helmet

Article about: I've owned this early Mk 6 a few years now but come to realise I've never shown it on the war relics composite forum ,This helmet has a two point chinstrap with cup as opposed to the later t

Default Troop Trials helmet

I've owned this early Mk 6 a few years now but come to realise I've never shown it on the war relics composite forum ,This helmet has a two point chinstrap with cup as opposed to the later three point Gs mk 6 ,the strange thing is even though a trials helmet the label clearly states Gs mk 6(general service)too the maker is Thetford and it is believed around 1500 of this trialed variant were produced with this one showing an issue number 600 penned on both sides of the interior Troop Trials helmetTroop Trials helmetTroop Trials helmetTroop Trials helmetTroop Trials helmetTroop Trials helmetTroop Trials helmetTroop Trials helmetTroop Trials helmetTroop Trials helmet

This is a wonderful thing and I am enormously envious. As far as I can tell it is not 100percent certain what the correct designation is. It seems to me that as there was actually more than one pre-production variant then simple 'Troop Trials' isn't enough, although it is correct. I have also had 'PM6' cited for this particular version. I think its all a bit obscure and will not be helped if Cotton's book appears as the latest story is that it essentially stops with 1945.

James and Richard Jones both contributed detail photos of their examples of this helmet to CompoSite at Composite Helmet, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets UNITED KINGDOM, UK HELMETS, BRITISH helmet, Kevlar helmet (scroll down to "Two examples of a very early version of the Mk6 - possibly that known as the PM-6."

Thank you again Greg ,I would be really interested in viewing the other variants if that were possible in some way ,do you know if they were two point chinstrap too or configured closer to the issued production models
    I wonder how long untill Cottons book is published and if true a real pity post 1945 helmets wont be covered

James...did the cover in your pics come with your TT Mk6?

Evening composite the cover is a recent purchase but feel it suits the mk6 well ,not certain but think it could be a trials cover with it having just the two horizontal foliage bands ,no maker label unfortunately ,it is professionally made though and even more strange is its made of nylon ? i reckon its got to be at least mid 1980's pattern dpm

Perhaps we should start a new Post on Mk6 covers. Yours reminds me of early trials efforts.

Well done by the way.....a nice pairing....

Thanks Composite ,Yes i agree a thread on the covers would be a good idea

The early DPM covers for the para helmets had the two horizontal foliage bands on the first ones issued before going over to the other type you see

Thank you Kradman I imagine those para covers are hard to find

Yes hard to find James