Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

UK 90's EOD Helmet

Article about: Hi, I came across this forum trying to find out about an UK EOD helmet I acquired. This is to put with a display of EOD suits/equipment I have. Searching through I became more and more engro

Click on his name in the box to the left of his posts.....then from there...

?

Cheers!

Just intrigued so forgive my ignorance but what is the top comb used for ? What i can see on the comb is switch so can only think of maybe some form of Ad Hoc Helmet cooling system perhaps ? i also wonder does the Comb Inpinge full Visor movement when an attempt is made to flip up when not in use ,Sorry for all the daft questions
    Regards James

Quote by James C View Post
    what is the top comb used for ? What i can see on the comb is switch so can only think of maybe some form of Ad Hoc Helmet cooling system perhaps ? i also wonder does the Comb Inpinge full Visor movement when an attempt is made to flip up when not in use
    If I recall correctly from encountering ATO pers during my own service you are on the right track but it is a "de-mister" rather than a cooling fan and the visor does lift up over it. I have never had a look inside the mechanism but I expect that the pivot moves through an eliptical rather than a circular path.

Remember "there are no daft questions only daft answers"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Hi James, the top comb is as Watchdog mentioned a de-mister. The 'thick end' rear of the comb is a fan from a PC, run from a small 9v battery, this pulls air in and vents it out of the front of the comb behind the visor, it's either on or off, no finese about it.

The visor does not fully pull over the helmet, the comb impinges on it so you can raise it from the eye-line but no further.

The comb is removeable, it's only attached by velcro and you need to take off to replace the battery.

Any other questions...feel free.

David

is it for sale? :-)

Many thanks Mark and David for answering my Questions ,A de-mister makes a lot more sense thinking about it logically
    Regards James

Quote by panman View Post
    The visor does not fully pull over the helmet, the comb impinges on it so you can raise it from the eye-line but no further.David
    Thanks David,
    Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that the visor could be raised right to the back of the helmet as would be the case without the de-mister fitted, just that it would raise much the same as a motorcycle helmet ie to an open position.

A case of trying to be succinct resulting in not being descriptive enough - Fail!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

UK 90's EOD HelmetUK 90's EOD HelmetUK 90's EOD HelmetUK 90's EOD HelmetUK 90's EOD Helmet

Here are more detailed pictures of the comb and how it attaches to the helmet. Hope it answers some questions...?

?

UK 90's EOD HelmetUK 90's EOD HelmetUK 90's EOD Helmet

...and as an added bonus...SDMS EOD hemet…part of trials training suit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast