Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unidentified helmet, possible South Korean. Help wanted!

Article about: I got this at the little Brecon militaria fair a few days ago. Some of you may have seen it on the Crown Valley Militaria shop website, listed as something it really isn't at all. That being

Default Unidentified helmet, possible South Korean. Help wanted!

I got this at the little Brecon militaria fair a few days ago. Some of you may have seen it on the Crow Valley Militaria shop website, listed as something it really isn't at all.

That being said, while I am certain it is not a 'Special Forces' helmet I don't really know what it is. There are no markings of any kind except for a logo pressed into the crown, which I'll come back to later.

I have checked through a lot of photographs and using what I thought was a clue - the very basic fabric chinstrap with a pop-stud fastener at one end - I feel that it could well be a South Korean commercial model, and from the black finish one aimed at police or other civil organisations rather than the military. I certainly have photos of South Korean helmets - unfortunately not properly identified - which have an almost identical chinstrap.

The 'para'-type nape pad which is fixed to the liner straps with a little slot in the pad itself also seems characteristic of a South Korean commercial product.

The only marking is in the crown, a sort of clock-face logo divided into 12 rectangles, which has '03' in the centre, and a tiny dot in the second sector round from 12, which may mean February. Therefore February 2003 ? There's also a L for large (probably) and a 1, which could mean anything.

Apart from these educated guesses - which could to totally wrong! - I've no idea what this really is. Can someone help?

Unidentified helmet, possible South Korean. Help wanted!Unidentified helmet, possible South Korean. Help wanted!Unidentified helmet, possible South Korean. Help wanted!Unidentified helmet, possible South Korean. Help wanted!

Unidentified helmet, possible South Korean. Help wanted!Unidentified helmet, possible South Korean. Help wanted!Unidentified helmet, possible South Korean. Help wanted!Unidentified helmet, possible South Korean. Help wanted!
    Last edited by Greg Pickersgill; 08-23-2016 at 06:55 PM.