Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown composite helmet?

Article about: So I went out on a limb and purchased this helmet, along with some trinkets that came with it. For just under 20 dollars, it wasn't too bad of a risk. The seller said all the stuff came in a

Default Unknown composite helmet?

So I went out on a limb and purchased this helmet, along with some trinkets that came with it. For just under 20 dollars, it wasn't too bad of a risk. The seller said all the stuff came in a box together, so the rifle harness and snaps give me some assurance the helmet is military related. I'm not sure what country the sling belongs to.

The outside looks pretty honest and beat up, but the pristine leather harness and simple black chinstrap seem too out of place for something military. Just by looking at it, I'm thinking it's either a paratrooper or dispatch helmet. I know some of the British paratrooper helmets have a similar padding system.

I'd appreciate any input on this one, I'm pretty stumped.

Thanks,
    John

(By the way, does anyone know what the other stuff is? )

Unknown composite helmet? Unknown composite helmet? Unknown composite helmet? Unknown composite helmet? Unknown composite helmet?

It may not seem like it from the post, but I'm pretty excited about finding out about this one!

I can say that the clips are US WW2 for M28, M36 packs and other gear. The strap is for the M36 pack. The helmet, to me looks like a climbers helmet?

After searching around a bit, I'm 99% sure it's an equestrian helmet. I'm not much of a horse jockey myself, so I hadn't realized how militaristic some of them can look! Unfortunately, I don't think there's much of a market for these types of helmets in this condition, but at least the musette strap is there!

I am pretty sure your helmet is an equestrian helmet; I agree with you that some of them do look confusingly similar to some recent military types and you need to look more than twice cometimes. I was caught out on this a few years ago when a dealer in Belgium was selling some unusual composites and I bought four. Three were genuine unusual (and still not fully identified) trials types but the fourth...well it felt a bit *light* for a start, and then I realised what it probably was. Which was confirmed by my partner Catherine who was a keen rider when younger. Ended up giving it to a charity shop, which may have been a bit hasty as it had cost me 60 euro. I've attached the original photos. It's obvious when you know, isn't it....

Unknown composite helmet?Unknown composite helmet?