Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Yellow MK6 Helmet

Article about: Hi all. Picked this up the other week at Malvern and thought that it might be of interest to some as I have not seen another. Unsure what it could be for, possibly for training, or some sort

Default Yellow MK6 Helmet

Hi all. Picked this up the other week at Malvern and thought that it might be of interest to some as I have not seen another. Unsure what it could be for, possibly for training, or some sort of sentry duty? The label has come loose but was luckily still present.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Yellow MK6 Helmet   Yellow MK6 Helmet  

Yellow MK6 Helmet   Yellow MK6 Helmet  

Yellow MK6 Helmet  

?

That is a very interesting piece, I have never seen a yellow painted Mk 6 before, and I am not aware of the colour significance relating to any service branch of the British army?

The paint job does not appear to be a recent thing, which makes me think it might date back to the 1992 period for this helmet...complete mystery but that is an aspect I appreciate about these type of helmets.

I am not basing this theory on facts, but for some reason I get the feeling it might have been used in the RN services, as I can not imagine that is would be used in the Army???

Thanks for sharing this mystery helmet.

very nice james just a theory but i reckon there is a possibility this might be from the first gulf war ,i have a few referance pictures showing the british army wearing painted helmets without desert covers if this is right perhaps the tan overpaint has yellowed over the last 20 odd years ,just a thought ,cheers for showing james

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Regarding use by the RN, I did have an idea that perhaps it may have been used on a flight deck, however I believe the helmets they use are different.

This is the sort of thing I was thinking of.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Yellow MK6 Helmet  

You also find some times range safety officers wear yellow painted helmets

Hmm, if I'd seen that first at Malvern you might not have got it...and then *I* would be wondering what it was for. Oh, hold on, I am anyway.

I'm not convinced by the idea of a 'camouflage' overpaint, because the colour seems more akin to internationally-known wanring/safetly helmet colours than anything else, and I would also think that a tan overpaint would have darkened to a brown rather than yellow (that's intuition, not science, please note).

I did wonder about for example heavy transport/loading, or even the Army Air Force ground crew, and I like Kradman's Range Safety idea. I tend to think its more in that sort of area. Unless of course it was just some idiot with a can of yellow paint and a clever idea. The world may never know.

Yes, unfortunately, although this is not an old item, it's purpose may never be known. I do think that this paint job has been applied to the helmet along time ago and am inclined towards the rear echelons/ training theories. Either way, it displays well with my others

yellow is usually a sign of SAFETY or caution, could it be a helmet worn by a heavy equipment operator? like a bulldozer driver or demolition crew like Combat Engineers?

yellow is also a color often used for Ordnance , maybe it was used by EOD? Explosive ordnance disposal?

Hi battle gear i am at the moment based with the Royal Engineers and they dont wear yellow painted helmets for plant work or EOD work but i have seen them worn by shooting range safety officers as painted helmets or with yellow helmet covers

?

Might of been a painted helmet that was used to denote a specfic role in a demonstration lesson i.e. plt attack yellow - plt commander blue - plt sgt red - sect commanders (old man was infantry).

- My dad