Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

An Aid to Manufacturer Identification -- Other Langet Designs

Article about: Hi, Not all of us sword collctors stick to purely TR weapons, I for one also like Imperial and Weimar items and am therefore starting a sister thread to An Aid to Manufacturer Identification

10. Sword 142 by Weyersberg, Kirschbaum and Cie, WK&C, WKC. Crossed Sabres and Lances Lancer Officer's Lion Head. Although I can not prove that the obverse langet indicates an officer of the Lancers, I would suggest that as regular cavalry used swords as their primary weapon and not lances, to include lances as part of the design of the langet for regular cavalry would be incorect. Lancers on the other hand carried lances and swords. If you disagree with my logic or can show evidence to the contrary or in confirmation, please let me know.

An Aid to Manufacturer Identification -- Other Langet DesignsAn Aid to Manufacturer Identification -- Other Langet DesignsAn Aid to Manufacturer Identification -- Other Langet Designs

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement An Aid to Manufacturer Identification -- Other Langet Designs
    P
    Many

11. Sword 188 by Weyersberg, Kirschbaum and Cie, WK&C, WKC. Laurel Wreath Officer's Plain Cap. This is an unusual langet pattern and probably just an Army variation. If you know better, please let me know. Laurel is the heraldic symbol for victory.

An Aid to Manufacturer Identification -- Other Langet DesignsAn Aid to Manufacturer Identification -- Other Langet DesignsAn Aid to Manufacturer Identification -- Other Langet Designs

12. Sword 116 by Carl Eickhorn, CE. Plain Langet Dutch Officer's Lion Head. I have incuded this Dutch sword for reference as it could be mistaken for a German weapon especially given the fact that it is by Eickhorn as an export model. Whether this hilt pattern was ever used on German swords is open to debate?? If you know, please let me know.

13. Sword 175 by Carl Eickhorn, CE. Crossed Cannon Artillery Officer's Lion Head.

14. Sword 97 Although not a langet, cartouches do carry the military insignia of Arm of Service or State etc of the wearer of the sword. They, like langet designs can vary considderably and can aid in the identification of the manufacturer of the sword where no name or logo is shown.

This sword is a Model M1889 Wurttemberg Infantry Officers sword and is an Eickhorn folding guard weapon.

An Aid to Manufacturer Identification -- Other Langet DesignsAn Aid to Manufacturer Identification -- Other Langet Designs

15 Sword 138 Although not a langet, cartouches do carry the military insignia of Arm of Service or State etc of the wearer of the sword. They, like langet designs can vary considderably and can aid in the identification of the manufacturer of the sword where no name or logo is shown. Maufactured by the firm of Weyersberg Kirschbaum and Cie, WKC, WK&C. This is an Imperial Navy Officers sword with a folding guard.

An Aid to Manufacturer Identification -- Other Langet DesignsAn Aid to Manufacturer Identification -- Other Langet Designs

15. Sword 60 Although not a langet, cartouches do carry the military insignia of Arm of Service or State etc of the wearer of the sword. They, like langet designs can vary considderably and can aid in the identification of the manufacturer of the sword where no name or logo is shown.

This sword is a Model M1889 Prussian Infantry Officers sword by Weyersberg Kirschbaum and Cie, WKC, WK&C.

16. Sword 47 by Weyersberg, Kirschbaum and Cie, WK&C, WKC. The reverse langet has been personalised by the original owner using the initials "v. (von) H.".

Last edited by Michael Ryan; 09-13-2014 at 02:34 PM.

17. Sword 37 Sword by Weyersberg, Kirschbaum and Cie, WK&C, WKC. Crossed Sabres and Lances Lancer Officer's Lion Head. Although I can not prove that the obverse langet indicates an officer of the Lancers, I would suggest that as regular cavalry used swords as their primary weapon and not lances, to include lances as part of the design of the langet for regular cavalry would be incorect. Lancers on the other hand carried lances and swords. If you disagree with my logic or can show evidence to the contrary or in confirmation, please let me know.

18. Sword 40 by word by Weyersberg, Kirschbaum and Cie, WK&C, WKC. Crossed Sabres Cavalry Officer's Lion Head.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast