Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Displaying, Daggers and Swords....Photos and Tech tips!

Article about: by Walkwolf Hi Ralph - I believe it is particle board or paneling. Takes some effort to push the pins into it.........! And sliding glass doors. Unfortunately, the ones I have are assembled

Default Displaying, Daggers and Swords....Photos and Tech tips!

Hello Gents, Although we have a forum on the WRF for collections and displays,,and all have been of High quality,,,,I wanted to start a thread only on Displaying daggers and swords and the mounting technics. For myself this would be a great tool on "How To".

There are those nice display cases that have those latch lock devices,, which are nice ,, but can be bulky to mount,,or possibly just to stand up on end with a possibility of falling over.
    There are also shadow box types and framed types as seen in many collections,,which can be found in local craft stores. I for one would like to know and learn how to mount a few of my daggers inside a display case. I have heard of a technique using fishing line tied at the highest and lowest points of the dagger and tied through the back through hole openings.

I am sure there is more than one technique as i have seen some fantastic collections here on this forum. Mainly I want to focus on daggers and swords as this may be helpful to others who dont know how,,"like myself". For right now my display cases are laying flat..or a few of them have that 2 inch thick foam rubber inside the case ,,so when the lid is closed,, the glass presses the dagger down,, holding it in place.

I would like to take my display cases...OR...get a thinner case with no hinges and mount these pieces of history on the wall.
    It would be welcoming for me and all others who may want to take this step .
    Please post any ideas,,mounting tips,, step by step instructions,, photos and completed displays. I have a feeling this will be very useful. Also and "MOST IMPORTANTLY"...tips on how to prevent corrosion, rust and all others changes due to climate and the regions we live in. heat cold moisture etc.

The use of tools and supplies needed and locations of stores would be a great resource for those around the world that may not have the same stores located in our own region.
    I can not speak for the other amazing examples of Third Reich period artifacts I have seen,,but collecting edged weapons....preserving and displaying them is IMO an art form.

I would welcome, Axis edged weapons.. "only "..if there are mounting and preservation tips to be included. Mainly this is a Third Reich forum.
    Anyone can put a dagger in a display case and close it,,but all other variables I mentioned above must be taken into consideration.

I am looking forward to seeing some methods and great end result collections of mounted Third Reich Edged Weapons. Welcome also is German Pre-war,,swords daggers and bayonets, Regards Larry
    Share your thoughts and "know how"
    Last edited by Larry C; 12-30-2012 at 01:35 AM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Displaying, Daggers and Swords....Photos and Tech tips!
    P
    Many

Default Re: Displaying, Daggers and Swords....Photos and Tech tips!

I will take one of my shadow boxes down and take some photos of the wooden mounting pieces that I made for my daggers Larry. I will post them later, meanwhile here is an idea for horizontal mounting of swords and can be used on any type.
    Ralph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Displaying, Daggers and Swords....Photos and Tech tips!   Displaying, Daggers and Swords....Photos and Tech tips!  

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Here are a few more photos of the sword display. The stands are merely cut out of oak, sanded and stained. They are also sealed to prevent out gassing. Then, an acid free material is contact cemeted on to prevent any damage.
    Ralph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Displaying, Daggers and Swords....Photos and Tech tips!   Displaying, Daggers and Swords....Photos and Tech tips!  

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I think this is a great idea, ive wanted to mount my daggers and bayonets for a while now but have no idea of how i really want to do it, i will be watching this post with interest.

As promised, here are some photos of the shadow boxes that contain some of my dagger collection. First, I will post one in complete in place.
    Please excuse the photo quality as these were not taken in the most optimal location.
    The mounts for the dagger, scabbard and hangers were fashioned from oak, drilled for the screws and painted black. The dagger and scabbard are supported by a block of wood at the bottom. Trial and error are required to get the spacing correct. This was all done with the pieces sitting on top and a pattern drawn for the drilling of the backboard. The piece for the dagger was cut out and filed to fit the blade with a fair amount of extra space to accommodate the extra material being inserted. The piece for the scabbard was cut out and filed to fit the scabbard in an open oval, (with extra space again), the scabbard must be turned slightly to put it in. Then an acid free material was contacted in place to protect the blade and other items. The back board was carefully calculated, (mistakes do happen as you will see), and pre-drilled for the mounting blocks. Then they were mounted on the backboard.
    I hope this helps anyone that wishes to try something similar.
    Ralph.

Displaying, Daggers and Swords....Photos and Tech tips!   Displaying, Daggers and Swords....Photos and Tech tips!  

Displaying, Daggers and Swords....Photos and Tech tips!   Displaying, Daggers and Swords....Photos and Tech tips!  

It appears that I am only able to post so many photos at one time so I will add more here.
    Ralph.

A very simple but crowded case. Knives and daggers are held in place by
    red push-pins that match the backing material. Thin wires are also used
    to suspend most of them, similar to what Larry mentioned about
    using fishing line. Sorry about the U.S. pieces.........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Displaying, Daggers and Swords....Photos and Tech tips!  
    Regards,

Steve.

It does not get any better than that Sir My hat is off to you. Love those holders.
    And thanks for the great idea to you and Larry for starting this thread.

Eric

Hate to say it but all of mine are rolled up in towels at this time.
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    A very simple but crowded case.........
    Nice Steve,
    What is the backboard made of that it is strong enough to support the daggers with push pins?
    Ralph.

Hi Ralph - I believe it is particle board or paneling.
    Takes some effort to push the pins into it.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast