Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Does this sword look authentic?

Article about: Hello. I came across this sword at a good price. It is described as an NCO dress sword about 1940. However, it looks to be different from other similar Heer swords, especially in the handle

Quote by klaipeda View Post
    Hello. Are you interested in the link to the sword in question?...or does that violate any forum rules? Please let me know.
    Most of the members here are not interested in reproductions.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Does this sword look authentic?
    P
    Many

Quote by klaipeda View Post
    Hello. Are you interested in the link to the sword in question?...or does that violate any forum rules? Please let me know.
    No rules have been violated and all links ..supportive photos whether authentic or not..and constructive discussion is welcome here.
    Much Edged Weapon types have been posted here for authentication and discussion over the many years.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Default Site where the sword was sold

For those who are interested here is the link to the seller who sold the sword in question. In the description is says (in Spanish) that the sword is completely original.

Espadas antiguas: armas blancas antiguas, sables antiguos, navajas
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Does this sword look authentic?  

What should not first be taken into consideration are the words that many print to say an item is real. As seen above in the Spanish Text.
    Thankyou for posting this klaipeda !

This would go into the category of COAs ( certificates of authenticity )..and valued as much as the paper it is printed on.
    No More than a person or child wearing a cardboard Burger King hat making them a King.

Already the person / seller who created that advertisement knows nothing about the sword by calling it a "Sub official (( NAZI )) sword.
    There is nothing Nazi about that sword except the national emblem of that period which was seen throughout Germany on everything printed and produced for the civilian to the NSDAP.

There is no such proof of that sword being Nazi related.
    This is where the dividing line is drawn between the knowledged and the less researched individual.
    The advert may be well intended but is less researched.. just trying to sell a sword for the sake of making money.

I was hoping to see a RZM number somewhere on the blade

The real value is within the discussion and examination of the Edged weapon as I have said many times..and will only support the story or COA .... IF only found that the item is authentic.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Marto Swords of Toledo in Spain could easily have produced this sword. Their replicas are of a similar standard, though it may have been produced some years ago.

Yes, Toledo has a sword making industry up to today, but I believe that they specialize more in wall hangers (often El Cid and fantasy types) with nickel/chrome plated blades (like the Germans/Austrians often did with theirs in the past). I bought a few even back in the 1980s.

The sword being made for a "sub-oficial" or sergeant was the first thing that puzzled me. I am not sure if such decorated versions such at the lion head type were worn by NCOs? Certainly the vast majority that I have seen are for officers, but I am not an expert on this. Does anyone know if NCOs had to use less decorated swords?

Here's your answer, though that sword is not made by WKC, but this illustrates the variations within a brand. Note both the so called "pantherhead" and lionhead pommel variation. Then there was stylistic variation between makers.

Does this sword look authentic?

These swords were priced around 17.25 RM, the "dovehead" versions were a little cheaper, but some were more expensive than the lionhead type, depending on decoration. Heer officers it seems had a choice over both the pommel style and whether the eagle was open or closed winged type. Seems to have been much more freedom of choice than we might expect.

That is interesting. Thanks for the info and of course with so many variations among manufacturers that variety makes identifying the real ones harder. By the way does anyone know how much 17.25 RM (during the Third Reich) was worth in today's dollars (or Pounds or Euros)? I am curious as to how much they cost back then.

I would not be as categorical ; This sword seems to be a Emil Voos unattributed aluminum sword (cf Angolia p129)
    Cordially
    An another :
    Opinions on Sword... - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast