Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

German army saber?

Article about: Greetings all, Normally I limit my collecting activity to bayonets and knives but today I came across this sword for what seemed like a good deal and couldn't resist picking it up. I am hopi

Default German army saber?

Greetings all,

Normally I limit my collecting activity to bayonets and knives but today I came across this sword for what seemed like a good deal and couldn't resist picking it up. I am hoping that you all can answer a few questions about it for me.

First, what exactly is it? I am guessing that it is a German army dress sword in rough shape. I do recognize waffenampt markings and the suppose the 38 under the E.F. and H. (E.F. Horster?) is for 1938 which makes it second world war. However I surmise from limited internet searches it appears to be a sword pattern which was also in use during the first world war though.

Is there a way to dissemble it to see if I can restore it a little? Again, just a guess that the there a tool that exists or there is trick to screw off the little cap at the end of the pommel that would allow me to dissemble the handle.

Lastly I picked it up for $100 US. Was this a good deal or should I just stick to bayonet collecting in the future?

Any help is appreciated.

Pal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German army saber?   German army saber?  

German army saber?   German army saber?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German army saber?
    P
    Many

Default Re: German army saber?

As was customary with the German Army, Unteroffizier mit Portepee (senior grade NCO's) were issued government property Officer's model swords to wear in carrying out their duties. Therefore the Waffenamts. This is one of them, and I think that 1938 was the last year that they were ordered. With the pattern itself probably deriving from the Prussian M 1811 Kavalleriesäbel (the Blüchersäbel), which itself was taken from the British 1796 light cavalry saber. With conversions of the later issued and lighter weight version (of the M 1811) Imperial era Prussian n/A artillery saber also being carried by TR era cavalry soldiers. I would personally advise against trying to remove the spanner nut at the top of the pommel. Unless a special wrench was made to fit it exactly and I mean exactly it's probably going to get damaged and decrease the value of the sword. As for price, I haven't priced them for a number of years, but I think that you are probably OK at (0 US) - although its matching serial numbered scabbard would have been an asset. FP

Default Re: German army saber?

I agree with Frogprince -Army NCO Ordnance Sword.
    Unfortunately, this sword is in very poor condition, most of the nickel on blade is gone, the handle grip has no strings, no scabbard.
    Is worth very little.
    Try to save some money, and bay a saber in better condition that will long remain in your collection.
    There is a tool for opening the sword, similar to K98 bayonet key, but a not know if I will be able to unscrew the sword - because corrosion.

Regards
    Vedran