Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

German naval sword, need some advise

Article about: Hello, I was told to put this sword on this forum because the expertise is here. I collect badges for some years know but swords i do not have a clue. I have a German naval sword but the num

There's something odd about this sword. Parts of it look quite good, such as the etching. Other parts, such as the brass castings seem rough and poorly executed. Some parts like the leather scabbard look too new for a 100 year old sword. This is suppose to be the Imperial pattern 1889 sword, and reproductions are made by a number of manufacturers. Have a look at one on www.militaryhertitage.com. Is it a repro or a parts sword with some bits authentic and other parts reproduction?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German naval sword, need some advise
    P
    Many

Hörster was a 1st tier period maker that was granted a series of contracts that were well made according to the standards of the time. As for the sword in question, if it looks in hand as it seems to be in the pictures, I would advise a friend to be very, very cautious because it appears to me to be a postwar "humper". Meaning that (like "humped up" period originals) it has also been post manufacture modified to be something other than it was when it was made. I believe that I can prove it using the pictures at hand, with my only reservation being that as a moderator on another forum it was not uncommon to see "product improvements” - with later generation fakes that were trying to get an 'OK pass' on an item. So that the fakers who follow the forums could make more of them.

And while it has nothing to do with this discussion: I have seen some later made fakes of period fantasy pieces that were actually much better made than the original fantasy-fakes. The question being how much information do we want to give fakers - with some of whom were identified as East Bloc in origin (unverified at the time) getting verbally abusive/having temper tantrums etc. when they did not get their way in acquiring information about where they messed up. Best Regards, Fred

?

Not a piece I would take a chance on in my opinion. Too many concerns swirling in the wind that are being brought up. Your call of course. If price is right and you can feel good about it that is all that matters. We can only give you opinions from pics. It just does not speak of German workmanship and quality to me.
    Last edited by Rossi; 12-04-2017 at 02:36 AM.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Hello Fellow Swordsmen!! I have read, with great interest I hasten to add, all the comments on this sword and to be quite honest, my initial look at the first batch of photos was favourable. What I liked was the scabbard, the miss matched numbers and the etching. Even the Government property stamp looked OK. In my opinion, definitely not Imperial. Possibly Weimar or TR.

Larry's point re the quality viz what I/we would expect from this manufacture and what is actually on show does not quite compute with me. That said, the quality of the blade looks fine?? All of the points raised by my fellow members make perfect sense to me and I fully concur. To my tired old eyes, what is most disturbing is the damage and misfitting of the tang retention piece. It looks to me that it has been removed or replaced. I do not like what appears to be an access hole nor the apparent planishing of the dome. Usually the hair pattern of the lion's head is cut into the dome to help disguise the fact that it is not part of the original casting. Personally, this, at least to me, would suggest that the hilt has been removed? Why, only an opinion, but the only logical reason is to replace the blade? Or alter it in some way.

Back in the eighties the UK was flooded with strange army and airforce daggers that in some respects looked great but other parts were decidedly dodgy. It transpired that some industrious anal orifice was buying a real dagger and one or two Spanish copies then cobbling right and wrong parts together to make up late war daggers! Perhaps that is what this sword is? I have seen some of the current modern swords on the market and in general, they are very good to excellent. Possibly made for the Deutsche Marine? If they still carry swords which I imagine they do??

Thank you Rossi for using my reference as an example in this thread. It is nice to know that those early threads are still relevant and used by my fellow members.

Regards to all

Cheers Michael

PS, At the right price, I would probably purchase it as a curiosity piece!! Also, apologies Drullo if I have trodden on your toes.

MR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2